• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Checking polarity on headphone jack

7jm

Hello,

I recently purchased a tripowin cable for zero red iem.
It's one of those that have swappable jacks and came with 2.5 bal, 3.5 se, and 4.4 bal. The 2.5 jack works fine but when I tried the 3.5 jack it was obviously wired incorrectly as the sound was thin and empty. I confirmed this by swapping the pins at the iem end on one channel and it sounded fine (although it's now not really wearable as the cable is in front of my ear).
The seller on Aliex initially requested a video recorded on my phone! Demonstrating the phase issue which I laughed at. I have a multimeter and a question of can I measure the output from the two jacks to confirm that it is the 3.5 that has a problem.

The jacks all have 4 male pins that I could measure.

Thanks in advance.

John.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Set the multimeter into 'ohm' mode (measure resistance) and measure the resistance between each pin of both sides of the cable. If it is less than a few Ohm then those pins are connected.

OP

7jm

Set the multimeter into 'ohm' mode (measure resistance) and measure the resistance between each pin of both sides of the cable. If it is less than a few Ohm then those pins are connected.
Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow.

staticV3

Master Contributor
To clearly show the issue, set the Tripowin cable on a desk next to the stock cable. No IEM connected anywhere, and with the problematic 3.5mm plug screwed onto the Tripowin cable.
Set your multimeter to Continuity mode (the one with the speaker symbol).

With one probe, touch the tip of the stock 3.5mm plug and with the other, touch the pin on the left IEM connector that makes your multimeter beep.

Next, repeat on the Tripowin.

Then do it again, but with the probe connected to the Ring1 contact (the one just below the tip).
Again, check the continuity on both cables, this time on the right IEM connector.

One of the sides should have its pins reversed.

OP

7jm

To clearly show the issue, set the Tripowin cable on a desk next to the stock cable. No IEM connected anywhere, and with the problematic 3.5mm plug screwed onto the Tripowin cable.
Set your multimeter to Continuity mode (the one with the speaker symbol).

With one probe, touch the tip of the stock 3.5mm plug and with the other, touch the pin on the left IEM connector that makes your multimeter beep.

Next, repeat on the Tripowin.

Then do it again, but with the probe connected to the Ring1 contact (the one just below the tip).
Again, check the continuity on both cables, this time on the right IEM connector.

One of the sides should have its pins reversed.
Thanks, appreciate the instructions.

Top Bottom