• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap DAC/AMP with analogue inputs and low impedance headphone jack?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,
Today I have a HAD-1 DAC/AMP and I don't like the high impedance headphone output with no gain switch. Making it hard to use low impedance gear.
That's the only "bad" thing about the HAD-1 (except mediocre specs, but that doesn't bother me)
Are there any "cheap" DAC/preamp/headphoneamp like the HAD-1 that have a low impedance / gain switch? With a price below €300 in the EU?
I know that the RMI ADI-2 Pro FS tick all the boxes and are my end goal in the distant future.
What I need is USB, optical in and out, analogue in and out and a headphone jack with gain control. without the need for drivers, if possible.
I've searched but haven't found any good solution.

minusnine

That device looks very versatile, and as you've found difficult to replicate. Since your only issue with it is the headphone impedance, can you not just add a JDS atom (which has sub-1 ohm impedance and 2 gain settings) to the analogue out? Assuming you were already using the analogue out, the atom has its own rca outs so you could transfer your analogue output there. It automatically switches when you unplug the headphone. It should be sufficiently transparent not to affect the sound in any way. Then you can use your digital ins/outs as before. I (in the UK) have just bought an atom from hifiheadphones.co.uk and I believe others have posted that they have them with EU plugs as well as UK ones.

OP
M00ndancer

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's part of the problem, don't want another unit. The HAD-1 also have pre-out with variable output. (good to have with the powered monitors that's on the shopping list.)

minusnine

yes, if there's only one power outlet available then you need one device only. As you've found, this may not exist for less than the price of the RME.

re your variable output point, I'm not sure if you're saying this would interfere with using another device from it (I don't think there'd be any audible degradation arising from using this output, but others more qualified than me could address this) or you think the atom's output is not variable? In the latter case I am sure it is (though I have not used my atom yet so cannot confirm it for certain).

I plan to use mine to switch my DAC source either to headphones or to active monitors and a subwoofer via a miniDSP 2x4.

Top Bottom