• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a preamp be connected to an AVR?

blestin

For example, can I connect a Denon 3700 AVR pre-out to a Topping 90 pre-amp and then connect the preamp to a power amp?

The point of this would be to convert an unbalanced pre-out on the AVR to balanced via the preamp before connecting to an amplifier.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For example, can I connect a Denon 3700 AVR pre-out to a Topping 90 pre-amp and then connect the preamp to a power amp?

The point of this would be to convert an unbalanced pre-out on the AVR to balanced via the preamp before connecting to an amplifier.
Yes, it will work. There won't be another RCA connection available so after this anything else will need to be balanced.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pre90-review-preamplifier.18283/

OP
B

blestin

Thank you, I didn’t think I could do that for some reason. Are there any downsides to doing this or does it completely depend on the pre-amp being used.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, I didn’t think I could do that for some reason. Are there any downsides to doing this or does it completely depend on the pre-amp being used.
Differences between pre-amps would be gain dependant. So to some degree the pre-amp being used can depend on the pre-out of the Denon 3700 AVR. Some pre-amps will handle the pre-out signal of the Denon 3700 better than or worse than others. I suggest connecting the system, dialing in your input and output levels from the Denon to the Topping and then the amplifier and see how everything matches.

OP
B

blestin

Thank you Doodski, I don’t own the Topping Pre90 yet, but was considering purchasing it.

Will the Dennon AVR have to be in bypass mode or can I use it as normal with Audyssey XT32 still?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Doodski, I don’t own the Topping Pre90 yet, but was considering purchasing it.

Will the Dennon AVR have to be in bypass mode or can I use it as normal with Audyssey XT32 still?
I don't know the answer to your Audyssey XT32 question. Perhaps one of the other peeps here can answer that question.

Top Bottom