• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying super cheap W10 laptop - advice needed!

JustPoo

I don't run Windows at home any more, but it's becoming too inconvenient not to have a Windows laptop handy when it comes to some things. Like firmware updates. When I say cheap I really mean cheap - it's probably gonna be used a handful of times a year for updating stuff, various odds and sods. My question is really what's the minimum spec I can get away with to run W10 Home and it still be relatively snappy, it would be nice if it didn't crawl should someone decide to use it to get something done. It's been years since I dealt with Windows at home, my gaming rigs are in storage and ran W7. I'm thinking a refurbished ThinkPad, middle gen i3 or i5, 4-8GB of RAM and a small SSD should do the trick? Something like this -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323780985385

Am I along the right lines or are there better options? Remember - cheap! :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a used but looking new HP 13 inch for 70 € to run JRiver on it.

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

Cheers, was it a ProBook? I've been looking at refurbished business notebooks, it seems it's between a ThinkPad, ProBook or Dell Latitude. Is yours running W10 well with the specs it has?

Edit - excuse me if I'm late with replies, I've been up all night. It's time to get some sleep, I'll be back this evening. For all the wonderful suggestions and advice I'm sure will greet me upon my return I'll be sure to tell you all about my dreams in great detail. People love that right? :)

Last edited:

duo8

If you already have a computer why not just dual boot?
If not you can just pick up a cheap used thinkpad. Maybe a X240 if you want something small.

Also if you want HP you want EliteBooks not ProBooks. Not all Latitudes/ThinkPads are good either.

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

I did dual boot on my desktops but they're firmly in the loft, as far as computing goes in the house now it's tablets, phones, Android boxes and a Pi. I really just need something portable that runs W10 OK. I've been out the loop PC wise for so long I have no idea how W10 runs on old hardware, and W10 is required to do some of the things I need to do. Minimum specs are one thing but having had no experience with W10 on old stuff I'm just guessing.

Right, no ProBooks, and not all Latitudes and ThinkPads are created equal, got it. The X240 I linked might be the ticket provided it has the grunt to do the job. My lady friend has hinted she wouldn't mind a touch screen foldy jobby but at the cheap end it's Celeron Lenovo Yogas and I have no idea how they'd perform or if they even run full Windows. From what I can gather Windows S is a no go as you cant install software outside of the Microsoft store? I don't wanna chuck money at something that's gonna get used so rarely but I really don't wanna chuck money at something that's unusable!.

God I really do need to sleep now, it's not great manners to post a thread and run but my eyes are half closed. See you soon!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows 10 will run just fine on a 5 year old Thinkpad with an i5, 8GB RAM and an SSD. A T440 or newer would be suitable. ITZoo get a lot of stock and often have good discounts, it's worth signing up for their e-mail so you get notified of new arrivals. Something like this would do the job...

https://itzoo.co.uk/collections/che...re-i5-5300u-2-3ghz-8gb?variant=13383985791035

NB: Windows 10 is constantly being updated. You'll need to plug it in occasionally to let it update itself. You don't want it doing this whilst you're trying to upgrade the firmware on something else!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I absolutely agree, refurbished Thinkpad is probably the best option. X-Series is also what I would've chosen. Currently run a X220, with Linux however. That X240 looks good, I'd go for that. The price is good, most X240 easily go for 240€.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been looking at refurbished business notebooks
Upgrading RAM & 2.5" SSD in these laptops will be cheap & easy, so you need only a decent CPU. AMD wasn't competitive a few years ago, and the price increase to a decent i5 quad-core should be minimal. I'd prefer at least 4000-series, just because of age. So, i5 quad in a 3-5yo laptop IMO.

Also verify that the laptop supports at least 16GB RAM and has a 1080p LCD. 1366x768 is just too small, unless you plan to use an external. Look into pricing of a replacement battery, unless you plan to use only wall power.

Finally, shop models that have a PDF service manual on the OEM's site, which should be everything you're already considering.

OP
JustPoo

JustPoo

I'm back!. Right, so let me tell you about my dream... (I haven't been asleep for 16hrs. Honest).

First of all, you get a like, and you get a like, and check under your chairs. Thanks for the help cos I think I'm pretty solid on what I need now. I stumbled across a video a couple of months back about computing on the cheap. It got me thinking about the inconvenience of no longer living with easy access to Windows, I used to love tinkering with PCs. Anyhow, ThinkPads were king because of their build and upgradeability (that a word? Tis now).

From what you've all said and scouting around I think I'm going to go for 4th or 5th gen i5 T-p series. Spares seem plentiful and I can pick up RAM or an SSD cheap enough, depends on the deal and the model cos some of these sellers offer reasonable prices for more RAM or better storage but some really hike it up. I'm not sure if any have space for a secondary drive, but it's no problem to plug one in. A new battery would be a nice to have, I'll have to price them up. A CD drive would be nice to have too come to think of it, it's about time I backed up my collection, although again it's no problem to plug one in. Cosmetically I'm not fussed provided nothing is cracked so I should be able to get a good deal.

I did a bit of Googling and the community around ThinkPads is phenomenal, I don't think I've seen a PC with such a loyal following. There's people who collect ThinkPads, who'd have thunk it?. So the good news is I don't have to bother you fine folks any further, I have a whole other bunch of fine folks to bother instead :)

The bad news is I've forgotten my dream now. Don't worry, it'll come to me. Thanks for your help chaps, I'll report back as I don't want you all left on tenterhooks. Assuming Ms Poo doesn't buy one in the sales.

Last edited:

duo8

It's worth noting that the T series has a physical network port, the X series doesn't - you'll have to use a USB adapter if you want a wired connection.
Wrong. My X260 does have one.
The newer, slimmer ones starting from the X280 don't though.

Top Bottom