• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beelink Mini S as Plex server bitperfect question

yewneek

So, I've built and successfully configured a Plex-based music/media server on a Beelink Mini S, running WIndows 11 with 1TB SSD for media and 16GB DDR4 for the overhead. Much of my audio is FLAC

Plays fine in 4k streaming, all the clients find it, etc.

How do we know when it's streaming bitperfect? I've got Tidal Hifi Plus hooked into Plex too, all settings to MAX.

I can stream to Chromecast Audio, Plex client on Sony Bravia X94J GoogleTV thru a HTG-700 soundbar on eARC, and to Plex on any of my phones or elsewhere.

The potential is there, just when would it be bitperfect?

TIA

Greg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Basics:

I would expect the bits to be "perfect" if the playback sample rate is the same as the recorded sample rate, and there is no digital volume control applied, and no EQ applied.

What else may go on in your path is unknown to me.

In my case, as I have a little volume cut (bits changed), things get resampled to 48kHz along the path (bits changed) and resampled to 211kHz in the DAC (bits changed), and then finally "room correction" has its way (bits changed again) with all those once perfect bits.

Do I worry about it?

No.

OP
Y

yewneek

A good description of your own personal experiences. My gratitude for your valuable contribution in helping me explore in such a concise manner.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How do we know when it's streaming bitperfect? I've got Tidal Hifi Plus hooked into Plex too, all settings to MAX.

I don't think Plex has an equivalent to the button you can hit in Roon to see what's happening to your signal, but here's an example of how very non bit-perfect this stream is.

Screenshot_20230817-205724.png

From there, it goes into my Denon receiver where it gets further mangled through it's room correction process before finally getting to my speakers, where the analog signal is digitized again!

Even with all that, it manages to sound pretty good.

Short answer, as Ray said...Don't worry about it too much beyond the curiosity level.

fuzzy_logic

So, I've built and successfully configured a Plex-based music/media server on a Beelink Mini S, running WIndows 11 with 1TB SSD for media and 16GB DDR4 for the overhead. Much of my audio is FLAC

Plays fine in 4k streaming, all the clients find it, etc.

I can stream to Chromecast Audio, Plex client on Sony Bravia X94J GoogleTV thru a HTG-700 soundbar on eARC, and to Plex on any of my phones or elsewhere.

TIA

Greg
The Plex client on windows can do bit-perfect. Plexamp for Windows doesn't have a setting for this - i think it's just IOS, Mac OS and Linux that do. I don't think Tidal played via Plex is bit-perfect though.

OP
Y

yewneek

The Plex client on windows can do bit-perfect. Plexamp for Windows doesn't have a setting for this - i think it's just IOS, Mac OS and Linux that do. I don't think Tidal played via Plex is bit-perfect though.
Ta! Plexamp on WIndows has bitperfect as a chargeable option. I'm looking into the rest!

Last edited:

Nutul

Plexamp for Windows doesn't have a setting for this - i think it's just IOS, Mac OS and Linux that do. I don't think Tidal played via Plex is bit-perfect though.

A setting for what?

fuzzy_logic

Ta! Plexamp on WIndows has bitperfect as a chargeable option. I'm looking into the rest!
I think you are mistaken. There are no chargeable upgrades to Plexamp. You used to have to have Plex Pass, but now it is free for all Plex users.

Top Bottom