• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Baseball No Hitter

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Utter nonsense. I pitched for 40+ years including college and semipro. Having one pitcher throw the entire game is WAY more difficult. You are speaking from ignorance
Now this is the part where you insist you're right... You hold your breath and get really mad... you call me a name. Keep insisting you're right... you take the ball and storm off and go home, and you tell everyone how mean I was to you.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I was there at the ballpark watching the A's get no hit by Ryan, his 6th no hitter. He was dominant. I think his K record will never be broken.

And, yes, what the Mets did was impressive indeed.

AudiOhm

Nolan Ryan 2.2% of all no hitters.

2 or more pitchers 5.1%, not bad for 1 man...

Ohms

HorizonsEdge

The Mets threw a no-hitter by-committee last night. It's a legit no hitter, but instead of 1 pitcher getting all 27 outs, in this case, it took 5 pitchers.

Some say it's less meaningful that way. I call BS. You still gotta get 27 major league hitters out without ONE of them getting a hit. No easy task.

There have been 315 no-hitters in recorded MLB history, and only 18 have been by-committee. That's about 6%. So off the bat (see what I did there???!) that implies they're much harder to get. But we'd need to look at all of the data more deeply to really know why that is.

Either way it was fun to watch.
You left out another important stat. It took 159 pitches. The most for a no-hitter ever. Making this the most unlikely no hitter so far.

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

You left out another important stat. It took 159 pitches. The most for a no-hitter ever. Making this the most unlikely no hitter so far.
I love it when unlikely and weird things happen. Just when you think you've seen it all...

tw 2022

I call nonsense to the nonsense conclusion.

Also, I said we'd need to look at the data more deeply, but it's not even CLOSE. And I stand by it.

After thinking about it for a bit, no hitters usually happen when the pitcher is having a very special day. He's just in the zone. It's that human thing we have no control of. Some days we're good, and some days we're crap.

But the moment you bring another pitcher in, the chances of him being in that unhittable magic zone are less likely. And the more pitchers you bring in, the odds lessen more that they'll all be in the zone.
It's obviously harder to have a " no no" by committee.. More variables ( pitchers, injuries, hangovers, ect) in the equation..

tw 2022

Utter nonsense. I pitched for 40+ years including college and semipro. Having one pitcher throw the entire game is WAY more difficult. You are speaking from ignorance
Nope...sorry...at least imo..it's still one pitcher vs one hitter every ab.. Now add in the added variable of sore arms ( dead arms) times the amount of pitchers .. It's easier for one guy in a zone to get it done..and yeah , i know baseball pretty intimately... No i didn't play , but i was a high level amateur golfer for about as long as you played baseball.. I allow for the possibility I'm wrong..but not much...Edit: i will allow for the idea that a complete game victory is harder in general than a combined win with one or more relievers, but that's based on pitch counts.. How many of those ( pitch counts) affect a semi pro pitcher?.. I'm guessing it's a small %...

Last edited:

tw 2022

Nolan Ryan...7 of them on his own...

A no hitter is a team effort no matter how you look at it.

Ryan struck out many, but still needed the fielders to make plays...

Ohms
Exactly.. Every no no has at least 1 or 2 great defensive plays...

Top Bottom