• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced? Double Monoblock, non-simple parallel?

mk05

Forum Donor
Could someone delineate the differences between the following terms in relation to DACs, because they are all conflating and/or simply overwhelming me:

What does it mean to be "balanced," but not actually balanced because it's a double monoblock? Or that a DAC is non-simple parallel? Yet there are dual-chipsets vs single-chip dynamic detail? What are the advantages vs disadvantages? Are these all academic at this point, turning conversation into dogma soon? Are (have) we approaching a point where most chipset(s) and PCB designs are extremely fine-tuned to a point of diminishing return?

Thank you, I am extremely overwhelmed. Gone are the days when a salesman/audiophiles could scoff at research-driven sound lovers for having a small 0.1lb Khadas DAC, citing lack of weight and chassis, or expansive PCB real estate, allowing for superior energy distribution, thus esoteric sound.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Balanced for DAC as the term being used now is only for analog output part. As there is no balanced/single-ended distinction in digital input, the input and conversion to analog signal is the same for balanced or singled ended and I think the initial analog signal are all balanced for most DAC, then they get converted to single ended or stay balanced for output.

Top Bottom