• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audient ID14 MK2 Electric consumption and USB reading ?

Trwall

Hello everybody, first post, first thread regarding questionning relative to this interface.

I bought an Audient 14 MK2, it's serial date it from june 2022, and I'm facing interrogation regarding voltage consumption, and usb information I can get on Windows 10 regarding voltage/current consumption.

First of all, here's the bus power requirement as taken from audient site :

USB-C High Speed:​

BUS POWER:
MIN REQUIREMENT:0.9A @ 5V>=USB 3.0 Port
MAX REQUIREMENT:1.5A @ 5VUSB-C: Provides higher headphone outputs levels
No. of INPUT CHANNELS:2 (2 Analogue)
No. of OUTPUT CHANNELS:2 (2 Analogue)

My whole interest in the card is driving 600ohms headphone, so I need the 1.5A, which I can provide having a USBC and USBA 3.2 gen 2 interface on my motherboard.

Lately, I've been formating and doing geeky stuff on my PC, when I had interrogation.

First of all, in my window's device manager I noticed that the Audient is registered under the Audient USB 2.0 Audio Devices, as you can see above.

Capture d’écran 2023-06-02 194657.png

My main problem with that, is that a usb 2.0 port is theorically limited to 480mbps/500ma, I know that it's not always the rules, since my Xiaomi 11T pro reload with a 120W power brick in usb, having an intensity way above the 500Ma.

But in conjonction to this, I'm looking for electric consumption of my usb devices, and I had this occuring :

Capture d’écran 2023-06-02 194929.png

As far as I know, OS/Usbdeview only guess electric consumption based on usb protocol, and as far as it can guess, if it sees a 2.0 device, it'll think it draws 500ma.

A redditer on this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/rd0vm5 had the same problem, with the id4.

But, i'm still not conviced with the threads answers, since I tested the interface with 3 generation of port (2.0, 3.0, 3.2 gen 2) going from 500ma to 1,5ma capability in theory, and I had no change in the headphone output volume while it's supposed to be drive at substantialy different power for both option as tested by Julian Krause :

So my question is :

I am paranoid and the interface manage to draw it's consumption even from the 2.0 despicte what's stated by audient regarding 2.0/3.0 port ?

Is that a misinformation from both MacOS and Windows (As stated by audient, in the reddit thread ?)

Is there anyway to test in realtime electric consumption from my interface/usb port ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
My whole interest in the card is driving 600ohms headphone, so I need the 1.5A
600ohms means you need barely any current. Much less than if used 32ohm headphones.
You do not need the 1.5A

Is there anyway to test in realtime electric consumption from my interface/usb port ?
Yes, using a USB Power Meter:
61OUQv2iyQL.jpg

Top Bottom