• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there pitfalls of using an iOS device as a low-cost streamer?

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A new iPod Touch can be had for $199. You will also need the powered Camera Connection Kit but that is only $39. Apparently, it can even serve as a Roon endpoint. In addition, it runs native Tidal/Qobuz and it has a nice screen.

Is the USB from the CCK noisy? What about Wi-Fi interference? Usability concerns?

In comparison, an Allo USBridge Signature Player is $249 and it does not even have a touch screen for direct interactions. Wi-Fi is also extra.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

No, no pitfalls whatsoever. Just your 'audiophile' credibility.

The same can be said of any Android device too.

(or Windows)

S.

LOL. What if I add some pointy isolation feet to the iPad?

I am an Android person. However, I really don't want to deal with that Android audio stack.

nm4711

If you need analog output only, you could even use the DAC of the iPod. As seen in the measurement of the Apple Dongle (I guess it has the same or a similar DAC), performance is not bad at all. But it has only ~1.1 V, not 2 V.

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

If you need analog output only, you could even use the DAC of the iPod. As seen in the measurement of the Apple Dongle (I guess it has the same or a similar DAC), performance is not bad at all. But it has only ~1.1 V, not 2 V.

Very true. The price/performance ratio is unbeatable. However, as a DAC, it is missing some features:

1. Resolution beyond 24-bit / 48 kHz (may not hear the difference anyway, but placebo effects are real)
  2. MQA decoding/rendering
  3. Bit-depth / sampling-rate display (How are we supposed to know the quality of the stream without a display? LOL.)

nm4711

What I meant is, that you have a DAC with this quality in the iPod anyways, since the iPod has a headphone output. Of course you can use an external DAC for high sampling rate and MQA (and display ;-) ).

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. What if I add some pointy isolation feet to the iPad?

I am an Android person. However, I really don't want to deal with that Android audio stack.
Whether Android, iOs or whatever, all provide transparent audio....it's hardly difficult... so what possible benefit an external DAC or anything else provides is quite beyond me. More in the realms of metaphysics or mystics than engineering.

Use your iPhone, iPad, or whatever, regardless of the naysayers that'll tell you you'll go to hell if you don't use their favourite tweak.

S

Spinitch

How do u remotely control the iOS device? I have spare iOS devices but would like to remotely control what plays. Wired connection ok but then less wandering listening position options. Amazon music . I can cast YouTube from my iPhone to my TV which is wired to dac->stereo.

Katji

Major Contributor
Look for an app?
I vaguely remember seeing there is a Windows program that does like Remote Desktop operation of Android device, so maybe there is something for Apple.

Top Bottom