• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything wrong with using a portable headphone DAC in a full stereo setup?

SuperDerpBro

Currently I'm running Daphile, on a Dell Wyse, with an Aiyima DAC that seems to be a bit noisy in the left channel. (Probably going to change back to a Windows laptop with foobar.)

Anyways, I'm looking for an inexpensive, basic, USB DAC that also sounds great! heh. It occurred to me that I have two dongle DACs that I rarely use. An ibasso DC03PRO and a (North American) Apple USBC dongle. Are these just as good as a dedicated DAC for non headphone use? I've tired the Apple dongle a few times. Seems to sound okay.. I just always have that feeling of "you're doing it wrong!!" lol.

Kind of want to keep the ibasso ready for possible portable use (though at $70CAD I could buy another). Does the good review of the Apple also apply to using on my Yamaha amp?

Cheers :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can use them. The apple is limited in max. sample rate and has no DSD support and will have a lower output voltage than 2V but other than that they both can be used.
When you can reach the desired loudness (using the Apple) then the lower output voltage is not an issue.
Ibasso is basically a 2V output DAC which supports higher bitrates and even DSD.
The DC03PRO seems to be the better DAC but is bigger in size.

Last edited:
OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

I don't listen to much over redbook. So no problem there. The apple was quite loud when I tried it. Couldn't go over "noon" on the amp. And that was much louder than i listen normally.

Does the "amp" in the dongle mess with the actual amp?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the "amp" in the dongle mess with the actual amp?

There is no such thing as a 'double amping problem'.
In fact dongles perform even better when they do not have to drive headphones (provide power) but only has to provide a voltage to an amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom