• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any point in upgrading Khadas Tone Board (v1) AND/OR JDS Labs ATOM (v1) for my Focal Clear?

Bruce80

Hi,
I have two DACs. The Topping D10 Balanced (connected directly to Adam A3x monitors) and Khadas Tone Board DAC, which is connected to the JDS ATOM amp, for the Focal Clear headphones.
I was wondering if there is any ~150$ to $230$ investment which can improve the sound. Here are just a couple of ideas, but would love to hear your thoughts or alternatives:
option #1 - replace the Khadas Tone Board (maybe with topping e30 II)
option #2 - replace the JDS Atom (maybe topping L50 II)
option #3 - replace the JDS Atom with an amp that supports Balanced (maybe topping L50), passthrough the D10 Balanced DAC to the Adam Monitors and amp to the Focal clear
option #4 - do nothing as there will be no audible sound improvement over the current KTB+Atom setup.

* Where I live, I can't test and return any product. I must buy based only on reviews:facepalm:
** The D10 B supports only blanced out, it can't be connected to the Atom (or any SE in put amp).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I have two DACs. The Topping D10 Balanced (connected directly to Adam A3x monitors) and Khadas Tone Board DAC, which is connected to the JDS ATOM amp, for the Focal Clear headphones.
I was wondering if there is any ~150$ to $230$ investment which can improve the sound. Here are just a couple of ideas, but would love to hear your thoughts or alternatives:
option #3 - replace the JDS Atom with an amp that supports Balanced (maybe topping L50), passthrough the D10 Balanced DAC to the Adam Monitors and amp to the Focal clear
option #4 - do nothing as there will be no audible sound improvement over the current KTB+Atom setup.

* Where I live, I can't test and return any product. I must buy based only on reviews:facepalm:
** The D10 B supports only blanced out, it can't be connected to the Atom (or any SE in put amp).
The amp is more than enough for the Clear , so forget the amp side. The KTB should be fine , I doubt you would notice any difference from any other DAC if you made sure the output levels were the same from the KTB and the new DAC.

But if you havent already, consider the scope to add some DSP EQ into your chain, asuming you are using a PC/MAC as source?

If PC- Equaliser APO plus the PEACE visual interface (both free) are a great solution- then experiment with EQ profiles like this one- which will definitely change your Clear experience :

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think Atom is great and reliable enough for you to just keep it. I second Jimbob's 54 opinion, keep using your DAC and get yourself something to EQ like a software or maybe a tone control if you want to.

Alternatively, if you want to let your subjectivism go wild, you can opt out for some tube amps. I don't think my tube amp is better than my Atom but with HD650 it is a good combo, plus the tinkering/modding around it is fun and at night when I listen to music and view the warm light coming from the tube it's quite relaxing :D

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

The amp is more than enough for the Clear , so forget the amp side. The KTB should be fine , I doubt you would notice any difference from any other DAC if you made sure the output levels were the same from the KTB and the new DAC.

But if you havent already, consider the scope to add some DSP EQ into your chain, asuming you are using a PC/MAC as source?

If PC- Equaliser APO plus the PEACE visual interface (both free) are a great solution- then experiment with EQ profiles like this one- which will definitely change your Clear experience :

Thank you. I was not familiar with this option. That's correct, I am using my PC to drive the DAC.

My main music source is Tidal, will this option work with it? and can I disable it when using my other DAC>monitors?

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

I think Atom is great and reliable enough for you to just keep it. I second Jimbob's 54 opinion, keep using your DAC and get yourself something to EQ like a software or maybe a tone control if you want to.

Alternatively, if you want to let your subjectivism go wild, you can opt out for some tube amps. I don't think my tube amp is better than my Atom but with HD650 it is a good combo, plus the tinkering/modding around it is fun and at night when I listen to music and view the warm light coming from the tube it's quite relaxing :D
Thanks but I'm not brave enough to follow the tube path. At least not yet :)
If both of you recommend the EQ option, I will give it a try.

Any recommendation on a good video or tutorial that you like to start learning how to use the EQ?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't.. Keep your Atom and Khadas.. However much you would spend will not improve its sound... Well ... You must EQ and even then the Atom will handle it with aplomb.

The JDS Atom Labs the Khadas are superlative, reliable inexpensive.

I still have mine but I moved from them because of my HifiMan HE-6SEv2. The Atom was capable of providing some sound to the original HE6... well... barely but for night listening was sufficient... It is inadequate for the HE6Sev2.. Just, can not...

So I went on the balanced side with a Monoprice THX AAA789 and Topping D10 Balanced... and run balanced from source to headphones... Plenty of power .. No change in sound from the Khads to the Topping.

You don't need that kind of power for the Clear to provide its absolute best...

Enjoy your Focal Clear.

Peace.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket how about an allo boss 2 player. Nominal improvement in dac performance but what you really gain is an all streamer/dac in one box. You could run volumio with tidal connect and eq it for your headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I was not familiar with this option. That's correct, I am using my PC to drive the DAC.

My main music source is Tidal, will this option work with it? and can I disable it when using my other DAC>monitors?
Yes, it's entirely non destructive, can be disabled with a single click and is system wide so works with any music app not using exclusive mode to the dac.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

Don't.. Keep your Atom and Khadas.. However much you would spend will not improve its sound... Well ... You must EQ and even then the Atom will handle it with aplomb.

The JDS Atom Labs the Khadas are superlative, reliable inexpensive.

I still have mine but I moved from them because of my HifiMan HE-6SEv2. The Atom was capable of providing some sound to the original HE6... well... barely but for night listening was sufficient... It is inadequate for the HE6Sev2.. Just, can not...

So I went on the balanced side with a Monoprice THX AAA789 and Topping D10 Balanced... and run balanced from source to headphones... Plenty of power .. No change in sound from the Khads to the Topping.

You don't need that kind of power for the Clear to provide its absolute best...

Enjoy your Focal Clear.

Peace.
Thank you for this comment! Your direct comparison helped me to drop my FOMO and save my $$ :)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love threads like this. Its great to be able to say "what you have is demonstrably good, no need to waste time and money changing it".:)
Ask the above question at many other audio forums and you'd end up down a rabbit hole of endless upgrades and samsara.

Paperdragons

Hi,

Honestly I've noticed very little if any difference between 100-200 dollar amps and 1000+ amps. You will not hear a difference with the dac period. Perfectly wonderful setup for your clears.

OP
Bruce80

Bruce80

Honestly I've noticed very little if any difference between 100-200 dollar amps and 1000+ amps. You will not hear a difference with the dac period. Perfectly wonderful setup for your clears.
Thanks for your input

Get a hearing test

As amirm might have mentioned the dacs and amps have improved so much in the last 3+ years that youre pretty good no matter what you choose in 100~ range and above.. So the only way to really change or "improve" the sound as others pointed out is either EQ it or experiment with different headphones.

Top Bottom