• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

any ideas on what these artifacts are in Qobuz stream (captured)?

fatoldgit

The album stream sounded a little strange so I captured the output (via a Slimdevices Transporter into my pro Denon ADC recorder with the capture via the digital outs/ins respectively).

The stream is 44.1/16 and as the Transporter doesnt upsample (which is a plus in my opinion) the capture path is bit perfect.

The album is from 1975 so before the recording chain/mastering would have involved digital devices (?).

It has obviously been digitized from tape but I wonder what the artifacts are at ~9.5k, ~18k and ~19k

We also see no HF energy above ~20.5k but that might be due to limitations in the original recording chain or the digitization process?

I doubt the artifacts are any kind of water marking.

Thanks,

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-09-03 19-29-55.png
    Screenshot from 2021-09-03 19-29-55.png
    2 MB · Views: 86

Daverz

Major Contributor
You often see continuous tones like that in CD spectrograms, though having one under 10 kHz does seem unusual. Cutting off at a little above 20kHz is also not unusual in older recordings.

I was just looking at this spectrogram of a recording from the 90s

spectrogram.png

From a New Albion CD:

51mQX8zQ6-L.jpg

OP
F

fatoldgit

agree on the older recordings not always hitting 22k.... but many I have looked at from the late 50's achieve that (taken from tape masters obviously).

Maybe early'ish CD releases done with a full DDD chain fail the 22k "test"?.

I have also seen single continuous artifacts in CD spectrograms but this puppy has three (though one could conclude that the ~9.5k and the ~19k) are related.

Would really like to understand what these are. They dont appear to be audible.. but you know.. paranoia and all that!!!!

Peter

Top Bottom