• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any DAC above $2 is a scam you DO NOT pay for Audio Quality you pay for Features (Article)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
What I've done is put my cheap realtek DAC on one channel and the topping D10 on the other channel, volume matched them (roughly) using the balance on my amp, then via Windows just instantly switched between the DACs by selecting default speakers. I couldn't detect any additional detail in the audio that I thought I had on the realtek DAC, the D10 'possibly' sounded more detailed in the higher frequencies but possibly not so forward vocals - which could easily be not perfect volume matching. I think you can drive yourself a little crazy trying to detect differences, neither DAC sounded bad or lacking, I'm not 100% convinced they sounded the same. Perhaps a phono switcher and better volume matching might be more accurate, from swapping left to right speakers it could have easily been room acoustics playing a major part in sound differences. At least I'm more convinced I'm not losing anything using the D10 plus as said it's surprising how good a cheap DAC can sound.

I agree speakers are likely going to make the most difference in terms of improved audio enjoyment.
If not playing mono then the L & R content is absolutely not the same so switching that way is not equal unfortunately.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there is a misconception about blind testing and double blind testing.
These type of tests do remove biases or expectations or the "in your headiness" of it all.
They do aim to minimize and randomize the biases and other head games.
In a blind test you are still not completely free from your minds influence. Therefore at minimum you need a control group and you need a large sample size. Without BOTH you have nothing, zero.

You don't need a 'control group'.

A positive control sample ...i.e, an A and B where there is a reasonable expectation of actual audible difference ...is a good idea, though.

But again in the instance under discussion, as in so many in audiophilia, the listener already claims to hear a difference. Level matching and blinding won't cause him to 'not hear' it if....it's real. And a positive control is pointless in this case. (Although it would be amusing, if he 'failed' at it)

john11

Hi. Can you please recommend a multichannel dac.

I have hdmi out from a pc as a source which will be giving audio output as lpcm, then i have 3 quad power amps to make a 5.1 system.

Thanks

jonfitch

I've driven LCD-4s, Stax SR-009, HD800S, etc out of a Macbook Air for extended periods of time to be honest and didn't feel there was an issue. Some low sensitivity headphones do still need external amplification though, but yeah you don't need a fancy DAC in reality and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between that and my Sony WM1Z DAP.

john11

jonfitch@ These cost thousands of pounds. This is not $2 equipment.

Any recommendations for me for a multichannel dac

Thanks

john11

Thanks. The okto is a good dac which i noticed some time ago, but unfortunatly has xlr output only, my amp is rca . Good recommendation.

As my system uses a pc as a source the obvious way is to use a good soundcard, i was thinking of the asus stxII which is supposed to be a very good card, but it got totally destroyed in a review on this site.
So are pc soundcards a bad way to go, are external dacs / pre-amps better. Because i can pick up a good quality soundcard for £100 but the dacs are thousands of pounds.

silentt29

Just my own personal experience, I compared my gaming desktop's Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (w/ Realtek ALC892 codec) to my Schiit Modi 3+ & Magni Heresy (low gain mode), both with a pair of AKG K240 headphones. Listening wise, I cannot confidently differentiate the two setups, at least with my rather untrained ears.

In addition, connecting either headphone outputs to my desktop's line input, I recorded a two-minute frequency sweep (played from my desktop; recorded at 192 kHz using Audacity) as played through each setup. The resulting waveforms (set to the same peak level) were very similar, visually. I'll upload some screenshots soon.

Attachments

• 1350Aorus.png
    1350Aorus.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1350Schiit.png
    1350Schiit.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 127
  • AorusSweep.png
    AorusSweep.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SchiitSweep.png
    SchiitSweep.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 131

Anthony101

Grace.jpg

I agree with tom's article; today, I received a copy of Grace Mahya's last Live at Dug, an SACD that I ordered through Amazon and after only five minutes of listening, the penny dropped. I concluded that if you already own a relatively good sound system, your money should go towards quality recordings.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
You guys are amazing that is why i gave 20$ if anything i need to give more to you guys

I'm loving my setup!!!

Top Bottom