• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Altec Mantaray Original or Diy?

Urubamba

My daughter was in a bookstore where they have this sound system. She sent me these photos knowing that I was going to like her, it is a system of my youthful years.
But although I recognized the Altec Lansing Mantaray 604 8H speaker, I had a question.....next to the tuning slot there is an unused hollow space.....it seems that there was a wire rheostat for the treble there, which is gone, but there is no Altec-branded plate on the front...
So, is it a Diy enclosure or an original cabinet? Only for curiosity ....

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.02.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 194
  • 3ce0513d-26a3-48db-bbb6-275d911a4fc9.jpg
    3ce0513d-26a3-48db-bbb6-275d911a4fc9.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 138
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.04.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 105
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.04 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.04 (1).jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 119
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 97
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (1).jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 103
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (2).jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 118
  • b4ab93b9-d5ce-4fc4-8e45-65849b5a7216.jpg
    b4ab93b9-d5ce-4fc4-8e45-65849b5a7216.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 138
OP
U

Urubamba

¡Lo has clavado! :), es el modelo Dieciocho original, pero por alguna razón han quitado los controles de tono alto y medio.
Tengo un JBL LE14 C antiguo (entre otros) y el reóstato de control está dentro de la misma caja con el cruce. Seguramente Altec Lansing construyó lo mismo, (los recuerdo, escuché el modelo Nineteen y el Santana, pero nunca me aventuré en el set xover-reóstatos) así que aquí creo que estamos ante un audio "purista" que prefirió eliminar los controles... probablemente haya una red cruzada mejorada en el interior... hmm, pero un cartucho Shure M95ED (MM) no necesita un transformador elevador para MC... supongo que tendría que hacerlo dirígete allí y echa un vistazo más de cerca. ...

OP
U

Urubamba

Wow, looks like I should have enlarged this photo, that's not a step-up transformer for MC cartridges, - on the left - looks more like a Technics turntable power supply! My mistake, sorry.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 20.30.05 (1).jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 43
OP
U

Urubamba

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, my daughter in the capital (CABA) about 25 km away. I will ask him for exact information from that site and I will tell you.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wow, looks like I should have enlarged this photo, that's not a step-up transformer for MC cartridges, - on the left - looks more like a Technics turntable power supply! My mistake, sorry.
Yes, the tt, which I believe is an SP-10 (maybe MkII?) has a separate power supply.

It looks like you recognized that the Shure cartridge on the tonearm doesn't require an SUT. :)

OP
U

Urubamba

Yes, the tt, which I believe is an SP-10 (maybe MkII?) has a separate power supply.

It looks like you recognized that the Shure cartridge on the tonearm doesn't require an SUT. :)
Yes, because I first saw the photos on the smartphone and hence the error, then on the PC I enlarged them and examined them better.
Another thing that led to my mistake was that I saw an Ortofón headshell, and I thought that first they would have an MC, then an MM and what I thought was a SUT was deprecated......
Well, what can you tell me about the Altec Eighteen? I am a lover of big speakers and "the sound of the west coast" ....

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, what can you tell me about the Altec Eighteen? I am a lover of big speakers and "the sound of the west coast" ....
If somebody grabbed the crossover, you'll definitely need that. Frankly, if you intend to buy it, make sure the treble horn works at all.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, because I first saw the photos on the smartphone and hence the error, then on the PC I enlarged them and examined them better.
Another thing that led to my mistake was that I saw an Ortofón headshell, and I thought that first they would have an MC, then an MM and what I thought was a SUT was deprecated......
I am, too. The Eighteen was, I presume, essentially a domesticated (consumer-oriented) version of the Duplex monitors. I've never encountered one in the "flesh", and my tastes run towards the earlier Duplexes, but they should be excellent.

My own are (were) 604E Duplexes installed in "reimagined" 620 cabinets (see link below) with MasteringLabs crossovers. They are very, very, good -- lacking only in treble dispersion (small "sweet spot"). I have switched, at least for the time being, do different drivers and horns using the same cabinets -- but the 604Es and the crossovers are still here and will remain so. :)

OP
U

Urubamba

If somebody grabbed the crossover, you'll definitely need that. Frankly, if you intend to buy it, make sure the treble horn works at all.
I am not interested in buying them, my current system exceeds that configuration, although I should make an exception with the TT, if you have the PSU separately, it is an indication that it is a good device, designed not to induce any type of noise and rotational stability optimal.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not interested in buying them, my current system exceeds that configuration, although I should make an exception with the TT, if you have the SPU separately, it is an indication that it is a good device, designed not to induce any type of noise and rotational stability optimal.
Probably just as well. Vintage equipment is a crap shoot at best, and for some reason vintage Altecs are molested very frequently.

OP
U

Urubamba

I am, too. The Eighteen was, I presume, essentially a domesticated (consumer-oriented) version of the Duplex monitors. I've never encountered one in the "flesh", and my tastes run towards the earlier Duplexes, but they should be excellent.

My own are (were) 604E Duplexes installed in "reimagined" 620 cabinets (see link below) with MasteringLabs crossovers. They are very, very, good -- lacking only in treble dispersion (small "sweet spot"). I have switched, at least for the time being, do different drivers and horns using the same cabinets -- but the 604Es and the crossovers are still here and will remain so. :)

Excellent room, "old fashioned", large space and carpeted floor. We had a similar room in the basement of an audio store, the walls covered with cork... well, REW is used now, but I have resisted wasting my time measuring and adjusting.....

OP
U

Urubamba

There are things that puzzle me, for example, I built a project by Troels Gravesen ( DTQWTII ) and I'm happy with that sound. But, some comments from TG have got me thinking. For example, Seas released a small coax (I think it was an 8") and he considered it "promising" to make a good cabinet out of a coax. Seas eventually discontinued it and I never read anything of it again.
Perhaps a company of that caliber, with optimal instrumentation to measure CSD (which did not exist before, nor did computer programs or TS parameters), qualified engineers, etc., can regret their development and go back? Because ?
That speaker was similar to my vintage JBL LE14C coaxial (rara avis that I still enjoy mated to a NAD 3020), the hornless concentric tweeter (which many people say interferes with the sound radiated from the main cone, causing turbulence and hence the preferences for the Tannoy Dual Concentric ) . Troels diagnoses the Tannoy DC as "impressive sound", but with very high peaks in its mid FR zone that he considered necessary to "tame". I would have liked to compare my LE14C with a Tannoy, but I couldn't.
I know people who have Tannoy Canterbury but are unwilling to relocate, although I think they would welcome a visit from other speakers.
Only my thoughts, personally, I keep the "defects" of large speakers and boxes, and not with the "pure and undistorted" sound of a small box type AR and / or others. The sound is also small, of course, there is no dynamic range to emulate a "live" musical performance. At least for me, but having been "in the business", I've listened to hundreds of speakers, of all kinds. Yamaha, Infinity, Celestion, Altec, JBL, Phase Linear, etc. which has given me some training. We had made a console with relays to switch between speakers to compare, that experience is the unequivocal confirmation that "there are no two brands of speakers that sound the same", and that each of us got used to our sound at home, and that makes us quite partial when we listen to other speakers at another time and place....
Well, my English is lousy, I hope you understand...

Last edited:
OP
U

Urubamba

" Page not found "
21-03-2014 :oops:

Attachments

• El parlante misterioso de Seas.png
    El parlante misterioso de Seas.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
U

Urubamba

Regardless of size, aren't they similar ? ;)

Attachments

• seas-excel-coaxial-c16n001-f-e0051-04-06.jpg
    seas-excel-coaxial-c16n001-f-e0051-04-06.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 32
  • le14c.jpg
    le14c.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 30

Thermionics

Yup. That's an SP10 Mk2 alright, Mark.

Top Bottom