• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

alc 1200 to topping d50s upgrade

yussef961

hello everybody
I have a pc with only an onboard sound (alc 1200 on a gigabyte aorus elite ax v2), connected to a marantz pm 25 amplifier (from the 90ies) which is connected to 2 full tower cabasse mt 32 speakers...
As I said in my introduction post...
I would like to know if buying a dac like the topping d50s for example, as you see my hifi components are not too shabby (don't want to change them for now) would improve my listening for 467kb flac files for example.
Specially romantic era music, beethoven , sonatas op 14, 27 etc and chopin sonata op 35 no2 etc... (funeral)
Also I like baroque music, Charpentier, rameau, haendel etc etc
And classical music (a bit less, mozart, jean chretien bach etc)...
Is it worth buying it ?
thx

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I assume you mean the Topping D30 Pro? Because a d30s doesn't exist afaik.

In my opinion, there are far less expensive DACs that will give you the same perceived transparency that the D30 Pro is capable of. So in that sense, it's not worth it.

Stuff like the Atom DAC+, Schiit Modi+, SMSL C100 is already 100% transparent, so why spend even more?

As for whether upgrading from your motherboard's internal DAC will even make a difference, it's debatable. I would wager "No".

charlielaub

Upgrading your DAC is not going to make your system sound "better". The biggest improvements will come in the areas of noise and hum - these will likely be much improved with an external USB DAC that is NOT USB powered (e.g. has its own power supply). To that end, the E30 II is pretty good (I own one). Review link here:

The remote control is pretty useful for adjusting the volume if you will be at some distance from your computer when listening.

OP
yussef961

yussef961

sorry edited was the topping d50s i was talking about
ah ok because I have seen reviews where it says it separates well the instruments etc

OP
yussef961

yussef961

hi there well I took the plunge and there was an improvement but not that big lol

Top Bottom