• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K553 MKII or ATH MSR7B for detail and imaging?

Oscarilbo

Hi guys.
I’m having difficult time deciding between these two closed back headphones; the AKG AK553 MKII and the Audio Technica MST7B. I want it as a CB alternative for night listenings.

To those of you that have experienced both, which one do you feel have the better detail retrieval and imaging? Also the more organic and maybe neutral timber of both. Sorry if this is a lot to ask.

I listen orchestral music (OST mainly) through my Schiit modi 3+ and Magni Heresy.

Thank you so much for your opinions.

Limopard

It's very difficult do get a decent fit & seal with the AKG. Even more so if you have a smaller head. If it fits, it sounds decent, details are there, imaging rather average.

The MSR 7b has a less difficult fit. Detail retrieval is very good, imaging decent for a closed back can in this price range. But I can't help: something is off with the tonality here. Oratory 1990s EQ settings work fine, though. Still I'm not sure if it's a keeper or if I'm going to return it - received it just yesterday.

@solderdude measured the predecessor ATH-MSR 7 with good results while crinacle rather slaughters it with a C rating in his overview.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oscarilbo

It's very difficult do get a decent fit & seal with the AKG. Even more so if you have a smaller head. If it fits, it sounds decent, details are there, imaging rather average.

The MSR 7b has a less difficult fit. Detail retrieval is very good, imaging decent for a closed back can in this price range. But I can't help: something is off with the tonality here. Oratory 1990s EQ settings work fine, though. Still I'm not sure if it's a keeper or if I'm going to return it - received it just yesterday.

@solderdude measured the predecessor ATH-MSR 7 with good results while crinacle rather slaughters it with a C rating in his overview.
I received mine (MSR7B) some weeks ago and I just love them. Sound very realistic, organic and open for a CB headphone, kind of an open sound in a closed headphone, which makes them feel weird imho. They have sort of a liquid quality in the sound, non dry at all. I just loved them and I decided to keep them.

I saw that rating from Crinacle even before I considered them and well I concluded I cannot trust his (or anyones views anymore on top of mine). Perception of sound (as with many things) is something determined by many variables physically and mentally. Those variables did not worked for Crinacle but they worked perfectly for me and for many others. I simply cannot think of any other closed back headphones better sounding at this price range, but again thats just me.

Last edited:

Limopard

I received mine (MSR7B) some weeks ago and I just love them. Sound very realistic, organic and open for a CB headphone, kind of an open sound in a closed headphone, which makes them feel weird imho. They have sort of a liquid quality in the sound, non dry at all. I just loved them and I decided to keep them.

I saw that rating from Crinacle even before I considered them and well I concluded I cannot trust his (or anyones views anymore on top of mine). Perception of sound (as with many things) is something determined by many variables physically and mentally. Those variables did not worked for Crinacle but they worked perfectly for me and for many others. I simply cannot think of any other closed back headphones better sounding at this price range, but again thats just me.
I suppose I keep the MSR7b. Switching the EQ on/off makes a change, but it's within the range the brain can adjust quite quickly.

OP
O

Oscarilbo

Yeah, I mean, give it some time but you ultimately trust your own perception because its your own, and as I said we all are under different variables. Personally I can say the MSR7b perform much better than they look. They have a fairly neutral signature with a very open and transparent (brighter?) sound, which is not a common tuning for a closed back headphone at all, and I think that's why they feel weird.

Coming from the AKG K702 which are very neutral, open and clear I was very impressed with the ATHs and how closed they sound to those in airness and transparency and neutrality. Not the same of course but closer than a closed back headphone has any right to, specially at its price point. If the K702 sound like you are listening to the orchestra in an outside stage, the MSR7b sound like you are in a very well calibrated large room.

Top Bottom