• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A dumb question about the availability of audio sources...

Saponetto

...am I suddenly became incapable to get any decent desktop HiRes audio player who reads U-Disk or SD with S-PDIF output?
Or have these humble devices silently slipped away from the market?

All of the players I find suitable for my needs seems not to be longer available, without any foreseek for come back in stock.
One chance, almost scarcely available, is the Aune X5s 6th Gen but it seems that this also will get soon the same fate... :confused:

My fault in search or (sigh) an irreversible commercial change?

chelgrian

...am I suddenly became incapable to get any decent desktop HiRes audio player who reads U-Disk or SD with S-PDIF output?

All of the players I find suitable for my needs seems not to be longer available, without any foreseek for come back in stock.
One chance, almost scarcely available, is the Aune X5s 6th Gen but it seems that this also will get soon the same fate... :confused:

They still exist in the professional world for example

However it's doesn't have wide format support basically only WAV files. Even in the pro world there are few applications for such a device most things have gone computer based.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Have you considered DAPs? Several DAPs from iBasso, FiiO, HiBy and perhaps Shanling or Xduoo or Hidizs provide a S/PDIF coaxial digital output, and all can read HiRes files from microSD cards of high capacity of up to 512 GB to 1 TB. Google is your friend. Though yes, the trend over time is toward USB digital output when used as a transport. The DAPs' touchscreens, physical buttons and maybe volume wheel, music categorization and playlists (and in the case of Android DAPs, the ability to load your choice of music player apps) make music navigation a breeze.

You may consider the battery runtime of a DAP as a limitation when you do not need the mobility, and indeed it is. My solution would be to get two cheaper DAPs (they are just being used as transports after all) and play one while the other is being charged, transfering the microSD card between them as needed (or using two microSD cards with the same content). Edit: some of the DAPs could possibly play music whilst being recharged.

Last edited:
OP
Saponetto

Saponetto

Hi, @JustAnandaDourEyedDude... of course I agree, DAPs are a good solution! ;)

Actually, I'm already using the XDUOO X-10T II as source via Toslink to my Topping D30Pro with very good results.

I started looking for a desktop solution that would consent me to reserve the X-10T for portable activity, but clues are suggesting me that my X-10T would still act as "double purpose" source for a while...

Top Bottom