• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$599 Topping D70 Pro Octo has 8 x CS43198 but its only stereo... this isnt what we wanted

MAB

Major Contributor
1699554588432.png

I'm not waiting or holding my breath for the measurements of this new and audibly indistinguishable device, with no useful features, and no improvement in sound over the hundreds or thousands of available devices that have flooded the market. Full-featured DSP, a well engineered control app, and a powerful headphone amp would make this useful and an alternative to an RME product, but not realistic to expect out of Topping as they breathlessly churn out one after another of these simulacrum devices. I do hope it is reliable though.

MBO

So CS43198 is a brilliant DAC, a really successful development from CS. With good implementation it outperforms many high-end DAC chips, including R2R...

Rover

View attachment 324944
I'm not waiting or holding my breath for the measurements of this new and audibly indistinguishable device, with no useful features, and no improvement in sound over the hundreds or thousands of available devices that have flooded the market. Full-featured DSP, a well engineered control app, and a powerful headphone amp would make this useful and an alternative to an RME product, but not realistic to expect out of Topping as they breathlessly churn out one after another of these simulacrum devices. I do hope it is reliable though.
Dac from RME used and got rid of it a long time ago.:facepalm:Useless fun.Not interesting.But the OCTO is really interesting and not a standard DAC.We are waiting for confirmation from AMIR.:)

MAB

Major Contributor
Dac from RME used and got rid of it a long time ago.:facepalm:Useless fun.Not interesting.But the OCTO is really interesting and not a standard DAC.We are waiting for confirmation from AMIR.:)
Interesting take.
What aspect of performance are you anticipating will improve or differentiate?
My concern is all of the potential benefits are inaudible.
The RME certainly has great PEQ. Otherwise all of these DACs we are talking about have no intrinsic sound. Even something like an old Adcom GDA-600 or GDA-700 is beyond our threshold.

unpluggged

What's so interesting about this DAC? That they managed to reach −114 dB of THD ratio (noise not accounted for) by combining eight DAC channels and brag about this "achievement"? Yes, not a standard DAC indeed.

Rover

unpluggged

Why an empty argument?This is a site where measurements are above all, isn't it?Topping in OCTO surpassed its previous leader D90SE in all dimensions.So it's very interesting to check if this is the case!The record channel separation is -149db :pamong all dacs at this price, very interesting.
Opera Снимок_2023-11-10_115228_www.topping.audio.png

Opera Снимок_2023-11-10_115243_www.topping.audio.png

unpluggged

This is a site where measurements are above all, isn't it?
No, it isn't. This site is about science and reason, not about pure numbers that no one knows how they were obtained. And we have yet to see the measurements that you are so fond of.

MAB

Major Contributor
The record channel separation is -149db :pamong all dacs at this price, very interesting.
Of the many inaudible aspects of this new Topping DAC, channel separation is probably the the least interesting.
What would be more interesting is if Topping slowed down and addressed their reliability issues and customer support for defective product.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they're down to bells and whistles for DACs now the MQA scam has been exposed to most people who fell for it. I've got a Topping E50 and it would take an audible difference. Got an A70 Pro coming in Wednesday, but going to try the SMSL DL200 with the Sabaj A20H and also with the A30Pro coming in to see if it can handle a 5 volt DL200 output without clipping. $200 is the most I'll pay for a DAC. Even amplifiers are starting to sound all the same, only thing I really look for is the 50mv test since IEM's are so huge now, and quiet noise floor is a must. I wish they didn't discontinue the D30Pro as it ticked all the boxes (like no MQA or bluetooth antenna), but almost impossible to find now.

Top Bottom