• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

25th Anniversary of "Jagged Little Pill"

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hard to believe it was 25 years ago when Alanis Morissette released "Jagged Little Pill". It went on to be become the 2nd highest selling album by a female artist. Its production really stood out from other albums too. It was very, very dry for the times. If you really want to geek out over the recording of the album, here's a video with the engineer going over the mix notes track by track.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Youch -- now I feel old.
Actually, I felt old before I read that.

Dry isn't the way I'd describe the sonics of Jagged Little Pill. It strikes me as bit bright/harsh/tizzy, although not unlistenably so.
I do like that rekkid, I must admit. It was big at a really weird time in my life, and it made a disproportionate impression on me as a direct result.

Isn't that ironic? Don't you think?
;)

EDIT: The wake that she and that album left torpedoed a lot of female musicians' careers. Well, at least it torpedoed the career of Jen Trynin, who was (IMO) very good but had the misfortune to release her album Cockamamie just a little too close in time to the juggernaut that was Jagged Little Pill. Trynin soldiered on for a while, but ultimately threw in the towel. She did write a book about her experience, though.

1592360712023.png

Top Bottom