• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

‘Vintage’ preamp required!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would like a vintage preamp to go with my vintage Sony turntable late seventies/ early eighties preferably, ideally with M/C phono;-
From the stuff I wanted as a younger man but couldn’t afford/ or things I actually owned and regret selling.
Audio Research SP 8/10
DNM U.K. brand acrylic cases, dual volume controls!
Nagra PLP I owned the cheaper PLL but the phono would be useful
Burmester 785/808
Sony TA-e900
There is a nice Tandberg 3018 pre?
Serge, Restorer John everyone else what was actually good back then?
Thanks,
Keith

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
They're still going: http://www.dnm.co.uk/preamp.html. :oops:

Still as idiosyncratic as ever, complete with DIN connectors. :confused:

1681989025975.png

1681989064652.png

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I would like a vintage preamp to go with my vintage Sony turntable late seventies/ early eighties preferably, ideally with M/C phono;-
From the stuff I wanted as a younger man but couldn’t afford/ or things I actually owned and regret selling.
Audio Research SP 8/10
Nagra PLP I owned the cheaper PLL but the phono would be useful
Burmester 785/808
Sony TA-e900
There is a nice Tandberg 3018 pre?
Serge, Restorer John everyone else what was actually good back then?
Thanks,
Keith
I vote for the first,I love its looks and usability.
Only thing is that it may be a little hot for the low-input impedance of some new amps (mote than 10k needed),that I remember from memory.

Gary_G

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the Quad 44 is near perfect as a preamp of that vintage. You should be able to find one with MC input, or if not, just the module, or use a SUT.

The Audio Research, however, does look lovely.

S.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I did the same thing when I was setting up my old Kenwood TT, and ended up with a Luxman C120A that has worked great for me.

0104211606_HDR_copy_800x345 (1).jpg

I also looked into some very nice older Accuphase preamps. Might be worth a look.

To me, these vintage preamps not only look great with the turntable setup, they are also damned useful! Lots of controls meant to work with the primary Hi Fi medium of the day.

Have fun looking... There is some cool old stuff out there.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

The Burmester 808 is still in production.. And it is violently expensive.. It is an interesting product and strategy from a High End Audio company, (I used to be a BIG Fan of that brand and considered it to be the Holy Grail.). The Burmester 808 came out in 1980, yes, 1 9 8 0. and it is still in production... Whatever vintage, it will likely be over $5000.oo...
the 858 is likely to be also expensive but much less and was an amplifier not a preamp ... ;). I find the Brumester 808 Stunning. Was my dream preamp.

WH_Wired_ChromeFetish_126-1A_layers_2BGamp.jpg

The Burmester 808 is even beautiful from the back:
2d47d441-3f17-4cea-8918-258a409176c4

The current price of this preamp, with just a line level module and mot much else is .. $49,000.oo.. if you were to add phono stages MM and the different MC modules, and a a DAc and another preamplifier output Module for subwoofer.. you would be around $75,000.oo but who's counting :D.

I'd go for an, unheralded in the USA, but spectacular at the times and likely today, Yamaha C2 or even better C1. There are some C2 on eBay around $500.oo

Yamaha C1
76532-c91b295a-extremely_rare_yamaha_c1_preamp__as_is__for_repair_or_parts_425_obo_trades_considered.jpg

Yamaha C2A

i-img1200x800-1661853710ytaied12295.jpg

The Burmester 808 and the Yamaha C1 were, what they called "Control Preamplifiers", they would useand amplify any low and line levels signal.. any. The Burmester use modules the Yamaha C1 came with almost everything , including microphone amplifiers built-in. The current modules for Burmester include DAC and, yes, crossover and can be fitted to any Burmester 808 ,ever made... I wouldn't mind getting my hand on a 808 but they are dear and frankly I know there is no sonic benefits or advantages... but damn they look cool. Audio Jewelry? Yep! :)

Peace

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
No moving coil, two moving magnet inputs only!
The weak part is the muting relay, needs to be replaced every few decades it seems.
I'm an Apt Holman fanboi it seems.
MC was an option. Can be upgraded. I know a guy…

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Mine does. It was an option, and I think there are still some MC boards available to be installed. Phono 1 is MM, Phono 2 MC
I forgot about that add-on card and the little header for it. I have honestly never seen one!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It should be easier to find something if you get a separate MC preamp that you can (optionally) put out-of-sight. The phono preamp is likely to be the weakest link anyway. Otherwise, most preamps should be audibly transparent (assuming there no noisy controls) and you can focus on features & appearance.

ErVikingo

I know about a near mint ARC LS 15 with metal audio research remote and original box.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first truly high end piece of gear was a Threshold NS-10 preamp. This late '70s preamp was simply magnificent and definitely one of those devices that I regret parting with.

I also had the accessory active moving coil step up device which was powered from the NS-10. The preamp would undoubtedly still be state of the art if it was up to spec. The noise and distortion figures were off the charts for the time. The bandwidth was specified as -3dB at 1MHz.

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.24.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.29.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.27.18 AM.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pioneer Exclusive C3 if you can find it

Stax CA-X

Denon PRA-2000

Any Accuphase with the needed I/O and in budget, as mentioned already.

Quad as mentioned

One of the cheaper Burmesters

Denon PRA-2000

Top Bottom