Search results

1. Alexanderc

How wires work

What do you think of this? Makes one question certain cable manufacturer claims.
  2. Alexanderc

Florida audio expo 2022

February 18-20, 2022. I assume same location.
  3. Alexanderc

Subwoofer noise I can't identify

Hello everyone. I just moved to a new house and I now notice a rapid thumping noise coming from my subwoofer all the time. I had not noticed this in several years of use prior to this week. It is not a hum, but sounds like very low frequency machine gun fire. It changes volume with the...
  4. Alexanderc

Our Beliefs and Attacking Ignorance

I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Also, I realize that a philosophical statement might be distasteful to some, so I invite the mods to delete this if they see fit. I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now. In the past few months as it...
  5. Alexanderc

Door as bass trap?

I’ve wondered about this for a long time… My listening space is a small office c. 11x13 feet. The entrance is directly opposite the right speaker (behind and to the right of the listening position). At night and if my family is home I keep the door closed. Other times I generally leave it...
  6. Alexanderc

YouTube series on acoustic phenomena

Has anyone here seen this series on psychoacoustics and acoustic phenomena? I thought it was well done and well explained.
  7. Alexanderc

Does size matter?

I'm curious about people's main listening room dimensions. I expect it's the living/family/TV room for a lot of people, an office or bedroom for others. If you think the footprint of a room alone isn't worth knowing I understand, but I'm curious anyway. I understand ceiling height also...
  8. Alexanderc

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

Apologies for the long post. I hoped putting this in writing would help clarify things and I wouldn’t have to ask, but alas…. I am planning to make a series of upgrades over the next few months, and one decision has been a problem for me. I have had my eye on the Anthem STR Integrated since it...
  9. Alexanderc

RIP Charlie Daniels

Country And Southern Rock Star Charlie Daniels Has Died At Age 83 - https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/887659960/charlie-daniels-who-sang-of-the-devil-in-georgia-is-dead-at-83
  10. Alexanderc

SPL meter

What do I need for an SPL meter? I have an iPhone app, but understand these are not sensitive enough. SPL meters on Amazon run from $15 to $1500.
  11. Alexanderc

Directivity definitions?

I have been following several threads discussing Kef and Revel speakers over the past few months. In those threads I see many posts calling Revel speakers "wide directivity" designs and Kef speakers "narrow directivity" (either in absolute or relative terms). I would like to know if there is a...
  12. Alexanderc

Your "Desert Island" Album

I can't find a question like this here anywhere, so apologies if it's been asked. I used to ask this question of people all the time: If you could only listen to one album, what would it be? Just one. Multi-disc sets are fine as long as they were intended as a unit (as opposed to issues of...
  13. Alexanderc

Amazon Music Sound Quality Issue

Friends, If anyone can shed some light on this, it's the people in this forum. I'm hoping someone would be willing to listen one of the tracks below and let me know what's happening. Bach Orchestral Suite Number Two, Mvt. 1 "Overture" -English Concert (Archiv label) -Concerto Köln (Berlin...
  14. Alexanderc

Harmonics and Formants in the Human Voice: An Overview

I’m starting this thread at the request of a member after a series of comments in another thread regarding this graph: The graph, with no title and insufficient labels, is a little misleading. It does not appear to be wrong, as it shows the harmonics of the voice and orchestra with a...
  15. Alexanderc

Room size vs speaker size

I searched the forum but can’t find an answer: is it true that speakers can be too big for a room? If so, how can one determine the appropriate size speaker for the room? I understand that positioning can be an issue with big speakers in a small room, but what about sound? I’m probably going to...
  16. Alexanderc

Value of room correction?

I’ve been looking at the differences between the NAD C368 integrated amplifier w/BluOS for $1450 USD and the NAD C658 preamp paired with the C268 amplifier for a combined $2550. The only significant difference I see between them (besides one being separates) is the C658 has Dirac room...
  17. Alexanderc

Measurements questions

I have been following this forum for a few months. I've learned some things for sure, and I'm grateful to all of you willing to share your expertise! This is my first post. Last night I read the Stereophile measurements of the Mark Levinson 5805 integrated amp, which JA concludes with...
Top Bottom