Search results

1. Dismayed

DIgital Audio vs Analog Test

Is anyone aware of a double blind test that compares a digitized feed from a turntable to the analog signal from the turntable? I believe that a digitized signal at the Red Book standard from a turntable would be indistinguishable from the turntable feed in a well-controlled study. It isn't a...
  2. Dismayed

SOLD: JDS Labs Atom DAC+ $85 incl. Shipping

I’ve only had this for a month, so there are just under 23 months remaining on the transferable warranty. Wall wart and shipping to the lower 48 included.
  3. Dismayed

Auditioned Speakers this Week

A friend and I auditioned several speakers this week. My Martin Logan reQuests are over 20 years old, and my youngest has finished college, so it seems like a good time to shop. My impressions: Revel F226BE: Slightly recessed sound. And there was a bass reflex resonance that was...
  4. Dismayed

Testing Speaker Frequency Response on the Cheap

I'd like to test the frequency response of my speakers in my listening room. Ideally, I'd pop in a test CD and use an iPhone app to record the results. Any recommendations for a good test CD? And is the app a pipe dream? Do I need a real sound meter to be reasonably accurate? If so, which...
  5. Dismayed

Could ChatGPT Replace Audio Writers?

I asked ChatGPT to write ad copy for a revolutionary new audio device, The Quantum Discombobulator. It produced copy worthy of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. I haven’t set price yet, but it will be expensive! Introducing the Quantum Discombobulator - the ultimate audio upgrade for your...
  6. Dismayed

Building a Home Theater system

My son, who is a college freshman, wants to build a home theater system. So I've been thinking about how to do that on a budget - without tossing out everything once he graduates and his budget increases. He has decent stereo speakers - MartinLogan Motion 15's, his amp is 2.1, and he has a...
  7. Dismayed

Irrational Temptation

I'm preparing to unload my last piece of Schiit - a Gen 1 Schiit Lyr. It's a tube hybrid, for those of you who have not been mired in Schiit. It's not terrible, as far as I can tell, but I have zero faith in anything designed and manufactured by Schiit. So time to go. So, what should I buy...
Top Bottom