• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could ChatGPT Replace Audio Writers?

Dismayed

I asked ChatGPT to write ad copy for a revolutionary new audio device, The Quantum Discombobulator. It produced copy worthy of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. I haven’t set price yet, but it will be expensive!

Introducing the Quantum Discombobulator - the ultimate audio upgrade for your system!

This revolutionary device uses advanced quantum technology to align the electron spins within your audio components, resulting in a clearer and more dynamic sound experience.

Unlike traditional audio devices which rely on mechanical or electrical means to manipulate the signal, the Quantum Discombobulator uses the principles of quantum mechanics to achieve a higher level of precision and accuracy in sound reproduction.

By aligning the electron spins within your system, the Quantum Discombobulator is able to reduce interference and noise, resulting in a cleaner and more detailed sound. It also enhances the overall clarity and separation of audio elements, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in your music or movie soundtracks.

Whether you're a audiophile looking for the ultimate listening experience, or just want to improve the sound quality of your home theater setup, the Quantum Discombobulator is the perfect addition to your system. Try it today and hear the difference for yourself!

Open Mind Audio

Fairly detailed answer on "Explain why vinyl is better than digital audio" (not a position I adhere to, by the way):

Answer generated by ChatGPT:
Vinyl is often considered superior to digital audio for several reasons:

1. Analog vs. digital: Vinyl records are analog recordings, which means they capture and store sound in a continuous, uninterrupted waveform. Digital audio, on the other hand, is a series of binary code that represents sound. Some audiophiles argue that the analog format of vinyl records captures a more natural and nuanced sound than the digital format.
  2. Dynamic range: Vinyl records have a wider dynamic range than digital audio, meaning they can capture a greater range of sound levels. This allows for more subtle variations in volume and tone, resulting in a more dynamic and expressive sound.
  3. Surface noise: Vinyl records have a characteristic surface noise that can add warmth and texture to the sound. Some audiophiles argue that this noise adds to the overall listening experience, creating a sense of warmth and intimacy.
  4. Mastering: Vinyl records are often mastered differently than digital audio, with a focus on preserving the natural dynamics of the music. This can result in a more authentic and satisfying listening experience.
  5. The physicality of the medium: Many people enjoy the physical act of playing a record, the artwork and liner notes, and the ritual of flipping the record over to listen to the other side. It's a more tactile and engaging experience than streaming or downloading digital audio.
It's worth noting, however, that these factors are not universally true - it depends on the quality of the record, the mastering, and the pressing quality. Additionally, the sound of digital audio has improved significantly in recent years and with high-resolution audio, it can be as good as vinyl.

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

@Open Mind Audio I can give you the friends and family discount on the Quantum Discombobulator. Act quickly - they won’t last long at this introductory price of $6,666!

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

Could ChatGPT Replace Audio Writers?​

From the looks of what's being written nowadays, I think it's already happened. :p :p

Jim
You’ll know it’s happened when grammatical errors decrease.

Marc v E

Major Contributor

Could ChatGPT Replace Audio Writers?​

From the looks of what's being written nowadays, I think it's already happened. :p :p

Jim
Personally I think ChatGPT is better in making it's case. Next time I see an audio review and think to myself it's actually eloquently written, I know it's ChatGPT.

Imo it would be an upgrade.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could ChatGPT Replace Audio Writers?
Pretty close! You'd need to teach it the specific idioms of audiophilia, e.g. "veils were lifted" and "wife said it sounded better from the other room".
Fairly detailed answer on "Explain why vinyl is better than digital audio" (not a position I adhere to, by the way):
With the exception of #5, none of that reasoning passes muster. In what reality do "Vinyl records have a wider dynamic range than digital audio"?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We're joking about it, but yes it can probably replace a lot of writers, relatively soon. We might poke fun at audiophile writers but I don't think this is something to laugh about. If AI can replace writers it can probably replace pretty much any white-collar worker shortly after that, and I mean engineers, marketers, designers, managers... too.

Your employer will replace you with AI as soon as the business case works out. That's not a pessimistic or cynical take, that's just how for-profit corporations work.

What then?

All "AI will never be able to..." predictions have failed so far, because "never" ... never comes, AI gets better every year, and humans don't. I'd advise you to avoid overconfidence in that area.

DonR

Major Contributor
Already being discussed.

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

We're joking about it, but yes it can probably replace a lot of writers, relatively soon. We might poke fun at audiophile writers but I don't think this is something to laugh about. If AI can replace writers it can probably replace pretty much any white-collar worker shortly after that, and I mean engineers, marketers, designers, managers... too.

Your employer will replace you with AI as soon as the business case works out. That's not a pessimistic or cynical take, that's just how for-profit corporations work.

What then?

All "AI will never be able to..." predictions have failed so far, because "never" ... never comes, AI gets better every year, and humans don't. I'd advise you to avoid overconfidence in that area.
Technology has been displacing workers for a long time. Don’t worry - they can all become YouTube Influencers!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They said they use them as "explainers." I thought it was a good idea (although CNET should have been much more transparent about it) so I tried it for an audio topic, impedance in audio. It had a major mistake in it (that impedance must be matched) but the rest could be used as a starting point to save some typing. As long as a human is editing it, as they are in CNET, I am OK with it. We don't cry foul when a spell checker is used. In time, this would be accept just the same.

Andretti60

AI gets better every year, and humans don't. I'd advise you to avoid overconfidence in that area.
AI gets better but they are still created by humans and the improvements are coming because we, humans, get more knowledge of AI and therefore we ourselves are getting better (at least scientifically speaking). When I started working on AI neural networks just started replacing expert systems, nothing there was really “intelligent”, we came a long way from there to machine learning and deep learning.
The big jump will be when AI will be able to design and build the next generation of AI.

valerianf

In 2018 there was a phone app Muzeek that was providing a AI generated music.
Muzeek
It is a French startup that is working on this project.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
23 percent of content on the Internet now is machine generated. For music, go down the current billboard top 100 and listen to the lyrics. It can't get worse being written by AI. I'm sure as soon as an AI song is a big hit, we'll here all about it.
The downside is if there's copyright infringement from the system learning from existing songs. It's happened with writing source code already.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Self criticism of Chat GPT:

"It is difficult to predict how the use of texts generated by artificial intelligence will affect people's mental disposition, as it depends on various factors. Some people may feel more secure and supported by the use of AI-generated texts, while others may be concerned about the impact on their jobs or the possibility of errors or deception by the technology. It is important to investigate the impact of AI-generated texts on people's mental disposition and to take appropriate measures to minimize negative effects."

Punter

One of my colleagues challenged Chat GPT to explain the Fletcher-Munson curve, here's the result.

My Question:
In the context of mastering how can the Fletcher Munson equal loudness curve be applied to achieve a consistent perceived level by the listener.

Chat GPT:
The Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curve is a graph that shows the relationship between sound pressure level (loudness) and frequency, at different loudness levels.

The curve illustrates how our ears perceive different frequencies to be at different loudnesses at different overall loudness levels.

When mastering audio, this curve can be used to ensure that a consistent perceived loudness is achieved across different frequencies and loudness levels.

This can be done by adjusting the levels of different frequency bands so that they align with the curve, resulting in a balanced and consistent perceived loudness for the listener.

My Question:
That was a good answer, could you expand on the type of equipment you would use to a balanced and consistent perceived loudness for the listener.

Chat GPT:
In order to apply the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curve during mastering and achieve a balanced and consistent perceived loudness, a mastering engineer would typically use a combination of equalization (EQ) and dynamic range compression.

EQ is used to adjust the levels of different frequency bands in the audio. By boosting or cutting certain frequencies based on the Fletcher-Munson curve, the engineer can ensure that the audio has a consistent perceived loudness across all frequencies. A common EQ technique is to use a multiband compressor or a parametric EQ.

Dynamic range compression is used to control the difference between the loudest and quietest parts of the audio. By reducing the dynamic range, the engineer can make the overall loudness of the audio more consistent. Compressors, like FET and VCA compressors, are the most common tools used for this purpose.

Additionally, a mastering engineer might also use a loudness meter to measure the perceived loudness of the audio and ensure that it falls within a desired range. This will give a numerical representation of the loudness, and the engineer can adjust the levels accordingly.

It's worth noting that while these are common techniques used to achieve a balanced and consistent perceived loudness, the process of mastering audio is not an exact science and mastering engineers may use other techniques or equipment to achieve the desired results.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not bad eh?

bkatbamna

While you guys are using chat GPT for audio, your future doctor is using it to cheat in medical school.

Guess that may be better than what my friends and I did: skip classes altogether.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AI gets better but they are still created by humans and the improvements are coming because we, humans, get more knowledge of AI and therefore we ourselves are getting better (at least scientifically speaking). When I started working on AI neural networks just started replacing expert systems, nothing there was really “intelligent”, we came a long way from there to machine learning and deep learning.
The big jump will be when AI will be able to design and build the next generation of AI.
Sure, but as someone who is not a software engineer or computer scientist, I have no defense against AI putting me out of work.

As for AI designing the next generation of AI... I think this is the beginning of what people like to call "the singularity", which they also say marks the end of human supremacy on earth.

Although I am worried about being able to pay the bills when AI can do my job for about $100/mo subscription fee, an AI taking over the world doesn't sound that bad to me. Human leadership has proved to be an extreme disappointment so far.

Plcamp

Whoever invents a ChatGPT detector stands to make money?

Hey ChatGPT, write me some code that can detect whether or not you created the text I point it at.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Whoever invents a ChatGPT detector stands to make money?
Someone has. Ironically he uses ChatGPT library to detect it!

Top Bottom