• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building a Home Theater system

Dismayed

My son, who is a college freshman, wants to build a home theater system. So I've been thinking about how to do that on a budget - without tossing out everything once he graduates and his budget increases.

He has decent stereo speakers - MartinLogan Motion 15's, his amp is 2.1, and he has a very good subwoofer. I'm inclined to advise him to buy a good center channel (MartinLogan makes several), and to spend less on the surround speakers. For electronics - he can pick up a refurb Cambridge Audio 651r that will easily drive everything. It doesn't contain the latest audio formats, but funding 11 speakers won't be in his budget for a while.

Thoughts, or other things that I should consider?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would look at getting a used AVR, those things depreciate like crazy, and there are tons of great deals on the used market. Otherwise, www.accessories4less.com has great deals on refurbs with warranty as well. You want something with with HDMI 1.4a or newer, and pre outs for longest future proofing, possibly Atmost as well (a proper atmos setup is lots of work though).

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Second on getting a very good center channel. Surround speaker quality is not as important.

I just bought myself a Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR from Costco for $399 and am pleased with it. A slightly upgraded (in power, weight, and distortion) version of the newest Wirecutter top pick (that costs less(!)). Seems to be the killer entry level AVR deal if you frequent the home theater sites. Deal ends this week.

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

Where does he live?

He's at RPI in Troy, NY, living in a dorm this year, but he'll be in a fraternity house, or an apartment, next year. He chose a fraternity that is more academically oriented than most.

Last edited:
OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

I would look at getting a used AVR, those things depreciate like crazy, and there are tons of great deals on the used market. Otherwise, www.accessories4less.com has great deals on refurbs with warranty as well. You want something with with HDMI 1.4a or newer, and pre outs for longest future proofing, possibly Atmost as well (a proper atmos setup is lots of work though).

Yes, they do depreciate like crazy because everyone wants the latest. I personally can live without an 11 channel system!

A manufacturer refurbed Cambridge Audio 651r is $600, versus the original MSRP was a bit over $2,000. So that's a possibility. Plenty of power for his needs.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, they do depreciate like crazy because everyone wants the latest. I personally can live without an 11 channel system!

A manufacturer refurbed Cambridge Audio 651r is $600, versus the original MSRP was a bit over $2,000. So that's a possibility. Plenty of power for his needs.

I've owned dozens of AVR, (I know I have a problem). But not only do they depreciate, personally I feel they're going down in build quality. Especially after 2010 onwards. IME, the best built ones seem to be early 90s, and 2002-2009. I have trouble letting go of the ones from those time frames even though they're vastly outdated, because of build quality, and robust amplification.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Personally I'd skip the system for a dorm room. They tend to be cramped even if he is not sharing with a roomie, stuff gets broken/lost/stolen, and he should really focus on schoolwork. The college transition can be tough. If he does well the first year and moves to someplace with more space and privacy, consider an upgrade as a reward next year. If you do get him one, I agree with buying an inexpensive, probably used, AVR and cheap surrounds.

I was somewhat lucky to have enough systems around the house that I provided each of my boys with a decent (if somewhat dated) surround system when they graduated. Also an excuse to upgrade my own systems, natch.

IME/IMO - Don

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's at RPI in Troy, NY, living in a dorm this year, but he'll be in a fraternity house, or an apartment, next year. He chose a fraternity that is more academically oriented than most.

RPI alumnus here. Class of '01 :) Been wanting to visit since I moved back to the east coast.

Craigslist is probably the best bet for finding good deals on used speakers for the surrounds.

As for receivers, I am not sure why the Cambridge Audio has component and s-video inputs. Its almost 2019! I'd probably go with a newer Yamaha or Onkyo.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned dozens of AVR, (I know I have a problem). But not only do they depreciate, personally I feel they're going down in build quality. Especially after 2010 onwards. IME, the best built ones seem to be early 90s, and 2002-2009. I have trouble letting go of the ones from those time frames even though they're vastly outdated, because of build quality, and robust amplification.
Yes I find this to be true. AVRs on the cheap end especially are really getting down in build quality. And it is hard to find solid measurements on very many to know if performance has been compromised or not.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually agree with Don on having surround in a dorm setting. But if he is set on doing so then well....he is set on doing so.

The Cambridge has pre-amp outs. So he could go with powered surrounds and center. The JBL LSR305 mk II or a used mk1 would make a good center channel. Good surrounds too, but in a dorm room or small apartment I'd go with something lesser from craigslist for the surrounds.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

Personally I'd skip the system for a dorm room. They tend to be cramped even if he is not sharing with a roomie, stuff gets broken/lost/stolen, and he should really focus on schoolwork. The college transition can be tough. If he does well the first year and moves to someplace with more space and privacy, consider an upgrade as a reward next year. If you do get him one, I agree with buying an expensive, probably used, AVR and cheap surrounds.

I was somewhat lucky to have enough systems around the house that I provided each of my boys with a decent (if somewhat dated) surround system when they graduated. Also an excuse to upgrade my own systems, natch.

IME/IMO - Don

The system would be for next year - when he has more space. And, yes, he'll have to sort out sharing with roommates, but that's part of growing up.

No problem getting my son to focus on school work. He won a Rensselaer Medal for being the top science student in his high school. So, if anything, I encourage him to take breaks and to relax. And his first semester grades in college are as high as his high school grades.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Congrats to your son (and you)!

Ascend, Emotiva, and SVS have a rep for decent little speakers, you could check those out. Or just search eBay and craigslist for some cheap surrounds.

What will he use as a source? There are quite a few inexpensive BD players around.

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

Congrats to your son (and you)!

Ascend, Emotiva, and SVS have a rep for decent little speakers, you could check those out. Or just search eBay and craigslist for some cheap surrounds.

What will he use as a source? There are quite a few inexpensive BD players around.

He'll most likely stream using Fire TV. So he'll have access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and Showtime. I don't think young folks use BD very much, but I like it!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The system would be for next year - when he has more space. And, yes, he'll have to sort out sharing with roommates, but that's part of growing up.

No problem getting my son to focus on school work. He won a Rensselaer Medal for being the top science student in his high school. So, if anything, I encourage him to take breaks and to relax. And his first semester grades in college are as high as his high school grades.

Hey my first year grades were good too. Until I started breaking and relaxing with too many girls. My girl point average went up, but my grade point average took something of a hit. Part of growing up as you say. :)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey my first year grades were good too. Until I started breaking and relaxing with too many girls. My girl point average went up, but my grade point average took something of a hit. Part of growing up as you say. :)

I hope things are better now, but back when I was there at RPI the male:female ratio was terrible. I remember there were posters on campus for some event that said something like "Got a hot date tonight? Yeah right! Come attend ...."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope things are better now, but back when I was there at RPI the male:female ratio was terrible. I remember there were posters on campus for some event that said something like "Got a hot date tonight? Yeah right! Come attend ...."
I didn't attend RPI. Rather an engineering school in a larger university. So maybe that ratio is helpful to keep your mind on your education.

OP
Dismayed

Dismayed

Better? RPI is currently 68% male. If that's an improvement, then it isn't much of one!

Top Bottom