Search results

1. P

Rega - light and rigid ethos

Hi folks. I'm curious about Rega's design ethos favoring material lightness and rigidity like on their new Naia deck, versus the heavy mass decks so often seen. Intuitively, I can't seem to get my head around this engineering approach. Heavy mass seems like a more obvious solution to forgo...
  2. P

Tools and Apps for Turntable Measurements

Are there apps beyond RPM etc, useful for appraising TT performance? Thanks.
  3. P

ELAC Navis ARF-51 Active Measurements

Designed by the reputed Andrew Jones, and tested by Paul Miller, these measurements look less than exemplary for the not inconsiderable outlay. I suppose there's something of a BBC-type dip, but also some rather other choice tuning if measurements are to be believed...
  4. P

Damping Factor and Bass Control

Hi folks. Was recently trialling a couple of integrated amps with my ported speakers. Similar enough power output on both into 8 ohms (60 watts and 50 watts respectively), however the 60 watt amp presented bass in a (subjectively) much more appeasing manner - taut, controlled and did not seem to...
  5. P

Tweeter Materials

In theory, will tweeters of differing materials, say soft dome vs metal, sound the same if they measure the same? Thanks.
  6. P

The Switch On Plop

I recently acquired a new integrated that sounds a plop/ thud via speakers on start-up. Cursory reading has revealed this as likely intentional design (omission of protection relay) and something to do with dc offset. I've also read of speaker designers being less enamoured with this 'feature.'...
  7. P

DAC with Equaliser and/or Room Correction.

Looking for an affordable DAC with EQ to use in my 2.1 set-up. In short, I'm trying to tame a nasty 50hz mode as simply as possible without breaking the bank. Mostly use Chromecast audio and Spotify. In my research thus far I've found the RME units which look nice but expensive. Mini-DSP 2x4HD...
  8. P

Moving Magnet Vs Moving Coil

I've read that advances in manufacturing in recent years have narrowed the gap somewhat concerning MC's reputed superiority over MM. For arguments sake, and perhaps putting aside the preamp variable and assuming adequate performance there, is there any reason to plump for, say the very well...
Top Bottom