Search results

1. S

waltzing through a gazillion choices

I still pinch myself that for $25 per month I can listen to any of millions of titles in cd quality sound. it brings me unalloyed joy. And the amount of excellent new music is beyond belief. I feel guilty the royalties are so tiny for so many talented music artists.
  2. S

What are we listening to right now..

erny belle. she’s awesome.
  3. S

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

The Johannsson soundtrack for “Arrival” is super awesome, plus an aural treat for a full-range system.
  4. S

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

I can speak to the Dutch 8C, which are in that small, accomplished family of box speakers. They have superlative smoothness, more than the top baffle of the LX521. I think the combo you describe would be excellent. I think the LX521 has peerless soundstaging, esp. with classical recordings, but...
  5. S

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

If you accept that you won't get much response below 30-35hz in a room that size, then it's just the usual question of integrating 2 subs. See elsewhere in this forum for that. However, it's quite important not to overpower those bass modules. Check either the Siegfried site or the oplug...
  6. S

Best headphones in the $500-$800ish range?

I've pretty much given up on headphones because even inexpensive in-ears have better response and lower distortion. that said, over the years, going in and out of various cans, it's hard to beat Sean 600-series and 800-series with EQ.
  7. S

I was offered these DIY builds "for parts". What have I got here?

the nature of large drivers is to beam according to a certain formula. you can look up the calculations. i have no idea of the tweeter’s characteristics, but you can look it up on the morel site.
  8. S

I was offered these DIY builds "for parts". What have I got here?

A speaker with weird directionality. Omni for a while from low to mids, beams in the mid, then is wider again in the highs?
  9. S

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

the next project should be how to measure and predict the magic of dipoles. i agree that measurements of monkey coffins is a great guide, and the genelec/neumann/dutch/kii speakers are awesome; but non-box speakers are beguiling in a way that someone ought to try to quantify. i assume the polar...
  10. S

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

a thin sheen of quality and a trendy name to compete with Benchmark Media. quaff a microbrew, sport a beard, and brag to your friends.
  11. S

linkwitz orion

the orions have been sold.
  12. S

What even induces Amir and the moderators to keep going?

Agreed that I'm not in other parts of the web except the Linkwitz Lab forum, which has about 10 visitors per day. So I'm not inured to the slings and arrows.
  13. S

What even induces Amir and the moderators to keep going?

I get exhausted and saddened by how posts escalate to heated or snarky rhetoric, so I marvel that Amir and other volunteers keep going with this forum. What started as a fun place with a curious, gracious host and enthusiasts who like to share experiences is not much fun anymore. I envisioned a...
  14. S

DIY Subwoofers

I agree with another post that unique needs not served by existing products on the market are the main attraction of diy subs. I spent gobs. My two 11” drivers were $650 each, and the two 10” $400 each. Outboard amps w/ dsp. All that said, huge enjoyment in building them, but I have a bunch of...
  15. S

linkwitz orion

hi all. a member of the linkwitz speaker forum, where owners of those can post, has a beautiful, professionally-built pair of orions for sale for $2,000, including 8-channel ati amp and analog crossover. that is a steal. since i am on both forums, a serious buyer can dm me, and i can pass along...
  16. S

What are we listening to right now..

erny belle, “not your cupid”
  17. S

Dutch&Dutch 8C /Genelec 8351b and Amphion something or other.

My experience in different environments with the Dutch is that they are peerless in smoothness in the midrange in a listening position typical of a home environment. My issue was the nasally box limitation of all monkey coffins -- bass is potent but not as natural as a dipole, and I thought the...
  18. S

New mysterious Genelec monitors

yes, which is why the dutch 8c have a null sideways and do better.
  19. S

New mysterious Genelec monitors

i think the points made by those who favor first reflections is that, in addition to being similar in tone, they are delayed by a certain minimum amount. that is posited as allowing the brain to sort them out as indirect. perhaps the time delay interval is precisely that amount of time the brain...
  20. S

47Hz room mode woes...

EQ can readily tame the reinforcing modes.
Top Bottom