Search results

1. E

Circuit breaker - which to choose

I haven't scanned all reactions. So sorry if this has already been mentioned. The inrush current of my Rotel RA1592 trips the standard 16A breaker, meaning over 80A inrush. As the normal currents during use stay well below 16A, which corresponds with over 3,5 Kw power delivery. I replaced with...
  2. E

Marantz CD-6004 Skipping.

I see you didn't get any response. If you like to tinker, try it. I see the price for the laser assembly is low enough. However, your laser works, the machine can play disks. The issue will be in another place. You already tried to reduce the friction on the laser sled. Next comes the...
  3. E

piercing beats: can they cause damage?

This is why, here in Holland audiologist not long ago issued a plea to reduce the sound levels at pop concerts. The explicitly targeted current high bass levels. These don't damage hearing in the generic sense, but are causing serious damage in the 2k - 4k region that are crucial to the ability...
  4. E

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

That is more or less what I mean. A good 30-40 Hz plus is vastly preferable to untidy very lows. I really don't think ever having missed anything below 30Hz on recorded music or even below 40 Hz. Digital music of course has no lower limits and present day recordings contain vastly more bass...
  5. E

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

Last week I listened to a live (internet) radio transmission of "Also sprach Zarathustra", The announcer spoke of the eerie sensation of feeling but NOT hearing the low organ tone at the start of the piece. For me at home it really was the odd sensation not to to hear nor feel any really low...
  6. E

Okay, point taken. But.. I have 30 year old Technics that still plays any CD no matter how dirty or even scratched and a 20 year old Pioneer that's going to bin because it hangs quite often, even on clean undamaged disks. The Technics however sounds awfull. I have three Marantz players The...
  7. E

I am sorry, but i'm really smiling at your loss aversion. Here in Holland the CD6005 cost Euro 299, -- ten years ago, your CD6004 can't have cost much more. I only mentioned the CD6007 because that is the current model costing round euro 400,-- and has raving reviews. Any competent DAC nowadays...
  8. E

Pity, you lost an excellent player. Next items in the chain, carriage drive motor or the controller hardware etc. etc....... Modern hardware doesn't live as long as it used to. Buy a CD6007 and be done with it until it develops the same problem. 10 years nowadays seems to be the lifespan you...
  9. E

I fixed my CD6005 by cleaning the 'rails' of the laser carriage (with IPA) and subsequent re-oilling with a few drops of sewing machine oil. Lots of instructables on Youtube.
  10. E

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

To make this machine a real killer Eversolo should add software to allow it to function as a mediaserver from its internal storage, creating the perfect hub in your "audio-network". I will buy one when they do that.
  11. E

Audio Analyzer App or Software?

PS. You don't need the generator to use the other tools, They have their own (simpler) generator built in.
  12. E

Thanks for the tip. I entered my post on my ipad however, no idea how to defeat autocorrect.
  13. E

Spelling Errors, caused by Dutch autocorrect, sorry.
  14. E

i bought SPLnFFT years ago in a package with Speakermeter and DiapasonAG audiogenerator. Of course you need a device with a headphone/Mic connetor. I use a dirtCheap imm6 microphone because the build in Mic of my iPad is disfunctioning, but the imm6 as a mic is particulairy handy as it has a...
  15. E

Pre-/ De-emphasis via S/PDIF

As far as I know Marantz players support de-emphasis. I would consider it logical that the player applies the de-emphasis and removes the flag from it output streams. Same for the Sony I suppose.
  16. E

Drop THX-789 Volume pot replacement?

That is correct. The cracking sound occurs when the current is temporarily interupted where the track has faults, when the slider is at rest contact is restored. The problem is direct current runing through the potentiometer. Wear and tear wil always take its toll. You can try cleaning the...
  17. E

Probably because that way you are polishing the carbon track a little bit. But every irregularity in the the track wil bounce the slider and give a crack when dc current is running through the pot. The problem wil always return. A new pot. wil devellop the same problem after a while. Mayby you...
  18. E

In the days of tubes, it was always direct current through the potentiometer because the grid had caught cathode material and current would start running. That's why capacitors were always needed in the signal path. I am sure your cracking potentiometer has an anolog cause. It"s a design problem...
Top Bottom