Search results

1. D

The 67-year-old hearing test results! You need hearing aids.

Just back from the audiologist. First hearing test in 7 years. I am 67. Hearing has declined since 2017. Within normal range to about 3-4K then drops like a 12db crossover curve. Probably down 30 db at 8K. Also have had mild tinnitus which has gotten worse in the last year. I go for a...
  2. D

Nice Cure mix of "Just Like Heaven." What is the digital audio resolution on a YouTube video like this? I know it is lossy and far from Red Book?

Despite being lossy, it sounds pretty darned good on my iFi Micro IDSD Black Label with my Zero Reds with 3D clicked on. Running via USB out of my Windows 11 P.C. to the iFi. At age 67, maybe my ears are becoming less discerning, or is audio on these videos lossless?
  3. D

New Shangling looks pretty bad ass!

Expensive, but this thing is loaded with features. I hope they send one to Amir for review. https://en.shanling.com/product/446
  4. D

Sony phx500 digital turntable USB output

I have a Sony PHX500 Turntable that I use to play my old records from the 70s, 80s and 90s. It has a built in phone preamp so I can connect to my Emotiva DAC via its analog RCA inputs, which of course most DACs do not have. It also possesses a quality ADC with output via USB. The USB output...
  5. D

The best audio gift(s) you received from Santa this year?

Who hit the audio gift bonanza this Christmas? I needed skis and got them instead, but a new DAC/Streamer is coming soon enough.
  6. D

May your Holiday and 2024 be distortion free and transparent!

As we approach a New Year I say: 1) Thank you Amir for another amazing year of testing and reviews. Incredible! 2) DACs and power amps are getting better than ever and are costing less for great-measuring, transparent sound. 3) If Santa did not bring you that audio equipment piece you were...
  7. D

Wolf's L7 Audio?

Maybe I missed some posts, but the L7 Audio site seems to have gotten pretty quiet without recent tests or updates? Does someone know of its fate or issues?
  8. D

New Emotiva DAC, how will it test?

Pretty good feature set, including analog in via RCA or XLR. How will it test is the question...
  9. D

Hmmm. Which of these power amp should I buy?

TAS picks the best amps from $20,000 to $50,000. I am uncertain about which one in this range would work the best in my system, but am thinking I really need to look in the 50-100K range? Oh, that's right, they are talking about audio power amps and not sports cars! GMAFB...
  10. D

For the over 65 crowd

11. D

YouTube DAC Comparison -- Of course flawed but interesting none the less

Sound signatures? Bright? Warm? Rythm and pace? Winner? Loser? Well, my ears hear no particular difference. They all sound pretty damn good, even the Audio GD which sister units have had poor measurements on ASR. Yes it is a recording of a recording over speakers and on YouTube, I get...
  12. D

$50,000 and up turntable recommendations!

I figured that most people on this forum are needing and craving a turntable that costs more than a Tesla, so please read this from The Absolute Sound before you buy. Personally I'd rather by a Corvette, but that's just me...
  13. D

Good starter turntable, I think I will buy two!

A veritable bargain! I will say it does look cool. https://www.stereophile.com/content/acoustic-signature-montana-neo-turntable
  14. D

$500 for a great DIY amp. Boom!

Mininal work and you can have a great Hypex amp for 500 clams. On sale at Madisound. I have no affiliation or ties, just a fan of Hypex UCD, as is ASR. No need to pay more. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-amps/hypex-ucd180-stereo-kit-180w/
  15. D

Zen moves to Zen 2

Interesting that iFi has moved to an updated second version of their Zen series. Upgraded Xmos and MQA in DAC and updates in the Bluetooth V2. Who will take the plunge so Amir can test? Version 1 measured rather non-competitive dispite nice feature set. Will V2 improve...
  16. D

Steve G. likes Topping!

High praise from the Audiophiliac for Topping DAC and headphone amp. Prefers it over the Schiit multi-bit dac. Hmmm.
  17. D

Interesting Podcast interviewing Audio Engineer, former Audio Precission employee

Some interesting points in this interview. At the end a zoom meeting folks might want to listen to.
  18. D

$200-ish DAC with balanced out

I am thinking either the Tone2 Pro or Soncoz LA-QXD1. Any thoughts on which you like more and why? Soncoz can use standard balanced cables and has volume for RCA and balanced out.
Top Bottom