Search results

1. Z

Car Audio: Fixing a 1979 Porsche 924. What would an "audiophile" setup of roughly that era look like? I'm a noob.

I'm not super sensible, but I bought 1979 Porsche 924 (4-speed, NA for those who care) for pretty cheap. Cosmetically it looks terrible, but mechanically it seems pretty darn good. It's a project for own amusement/edification. On of the things I want to do is have a super sweet, cassette-based...
  2. Z

Resistive loading on electric guitar pickups? Can anyone help?

OK, this isn't really a "hi-fi" related inquiry, but I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask. I have a 1989 Yamaha RGX 611J. It has a humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck position. The general guideline for guitar pickups is that for humbuckers (two coils wired in...
  3. Z

Any guitarists/bassist or other musicians out there?

Hey y'all. I haven't been on these forums lately. I've been busy practicing guitar and generally messing about with them. I actually put together this part-o-caster just the other day. Im calling the Kuzu (屑—means "trash", "scrap" "refuse", et cetera) Custom for the time being Anyways, I am...
  4. Z

SAT modifies SL-1000R.

So apparently SAT has released a DD turntable (which is actually just an SL-1000R). EDITED: because I am stupid.
  5. Z

Is there a way to repair a latching switch that won't "latch"?

I've got an old guitar with what is known as a "push-push" pot. It is a pot but with a DPDT on-on switch on the bottom. I am pretty sure this thing is supposed to "latch", but for whatever reason it doesn't. Is there a way to fix one of these easily. I've searched various industrial supply...
  6. Z

Recommendations for quality tools for guitar and electronic repair/general use?

"A poor craftsman blames his tools" or so the saying goes. Well I am a poor craftsman. I am generally fairly clumsy and my hands are shaky (probably a side-effect of some medication), but I need to repair stuff (no one is going to do it for me). I do a lot of guitar "maintenance" (if you want to...
  7. Z

How I became an "audiophile": a journey from age 12(?)—29

I'm turning 30 in two weeks and I feeling nostalgic or something. This forum exists for posts such as these so I figured I'd write for something to do. It probably won't be of much interest to anyone, but whatever. I first became interested in music around the age of about 12 or so. We'd always...
  8. Z

Record clamp/level/45-adaptor/record weight devices? Are they entirely useless?

Okay so I basically need some kind of means to level my Sony PS-X800. I don't have a circular spirit level handy so I was going to purchase one. I saw this device. Yes, it is more expensive than just a bubble-level. However, I actually don't have 45 adaptor nor a record clamp of any kind so I...
  9. Z

"Perception & Thresholds of Nonlinear Distortion using Complex Signals" Saw this super long paper posted elsewhere. What do people here make of it?

Link to paper. I was skimming reddit (because apparently I hate myself) and saw this posted on there. I have not read it, but I skimmed the comments of the post (available here). I don't think I am qualified to evaluate the merits of this paper. My "gut" response it is that is a bunch of...
  10. Z

Human beliefs sure are weird. Why is it so difficult to get audiophiles to accept the existence of perceptual bias?

I feel like the biggest obstacle with regards to rational discourse in the sphere of audiophilia is that many people just flat refuse to accept the existence of perceptual bias. It's been demonstrated to exist in lots of places and many different fields over and over again. Yet, people refuse to...
  11. Z

Electric guitar audio science?

I don't know if this is really the right place, but it is probably the least hostile place to ask about this. Have there ever been empirical studies done of how (or if) various factors (materials, construction, et cetera) affect the output of the signal that is sent through the magnetic pickup...
  12. Z

How would I got about figuring out the load of preamp (Pioneer C-90) which includes line-level preamp, phono stage, and built-in SUTs?

I have a Pioneer C-90 that I plug my turntable into. The spec sheet says that input impedance for the MM stage is 50kΩ. It also contains two settings for MC cartridges labelled 40Ω and 3Ω. The literature all says that these are the input impedance. However, I think that may be an error. I...
  13. Z

The criticisms that people have of this site are ridiculous. People can be a little worrisome.

I was just doing some random googling and stumbled across this : Source. This isn't the first time I've seen this, but it is totally baffling everytime. It is also ridiculous. Firstly, I am pretty sure that general "idea" of what this site represents isn't popular, or very mainstream in...
  14. Z

From reading the reviews here it seems like a lot of audio companies are pretty shady? Which ones are generally trustworthy?

So from reading the reviews it seems like a good deal of companies are not exactly honest in their claims. Is it possible to compile a list of manufacturers which generally do not engage in obviously deceptive practices? I don't know about Denon as a whole, but I have a good deal of faith in...
  15. Z

My CD player died so I'm thinking of building some kind of streaming device setup. What is the most cost effective way of doing so?

I've been reading stuff on this forum but this is my first post. I think it is time to transition from a simple CD player to something a little more sophisticated. I've already got a hi-fi setup so I would need to add a DAC and the some kind of computing device to my setup. With regards to DACs...
Top Bottom