• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How would I got about figuring out the load of preamp (Pioneer C-90) which includes line-level preamp, phono stage, and built-in SUTs?

Zerimas

I have a Pioneer C-90 that I plug my turntable into. The spec sheet says that input impedance for the MM stage is 50kΩ. It also contains two settings for MC cartridges labelled 40Ω and 3Ω. The literature all says that these are the input impedance. However, I think that may be an error. I suspect they really mean "this setting is for cartridge with 40Ω internal impedance" and "this setting is when you have a 3Ω internal impedance". Both those values seem way too low to be the actual impedance.

I use the 40Ω setting for for my Denon DL-103 (which has an internal impedance of—you guessed it–40Ω). It sounds like it is working correctly. Swordfishtrombones sounds like Swordfishtrombones whether I play it on CD or vinyl.

The service manual is here. I am actually too stupid to make any sense of it (otherwise I would have posted just the relevant sections here). Someone on another forum briefly mentioned that it contains transformers and that calculating the loading is impossible. No idea if that is true.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The circuit diagram shows an autotransformer for the MC step-up, not the normal double-wound transformer. Consequently, it's less obvious how the step-up ratio works. However, the input sensitivity is shown as 2.5mV for the MM input, 250uV for the 40 ohm input and 125uV for the 3 ohm input.
That means that with a 50k MM input and a 10:1 transformer step-up, the '40 ohm' input should present an input impedance of 500 ohms, perfectly suitable for a 40 ohm cartridge. The 3 ohm setting has an extra gain of 20x, so the input impedance should be about 125 ohms, so suitable for cartridges down to 10-12 ohms.

I'm not aware of any fundamental difference in the impedance calculation between an autotransformer and a normal double wound one.

S.

OP
Z

Zerimas

Excellent. That totally answers my question. I wanted to know just in case I ever decide to get a different cartridge. The setup I have does work quite well. I am really happy with the C-90 as a unit.

Top Bottom