• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SAT modifies SL-1000R.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wouldn't be the first time a boutique 3rd party audiophile vendor performed useless, suspect, performance-degrading, and/or overpriced modifications to a stock mass-market product.

Daverz

Major Contributor
It wouldn't be the first time a boutique 3rd party audiophile vendor performed useless, suspect, performance-degrading, and/or overpriced modifications to a stock mass-market product.

At $18k, I wouldn't call the SL-1000R "mass market".

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention “marketing” by describing basic mechanical functions as if they were micro-surgery.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
1567131157150.png

Huh? I think you are confused. 99% (my estimate) of all DD and BD turntables are built the same way, the motor assembly is below the plinth or level with it, and the motor SS spindle has a brass tapered collar. The spindle passes through the platter and secures (interference fit) the platter firmly to the motor shaft.

They are talking about attaching the record spindle to the platter and it not being a continuous motor shaft. May create more problems than it solves in terms of eccentricity.

Technics made a big thing of attaching the magnet/s and bell housing to the platter with 3 screws and have done that since the late 70s. A few other manufacturers dabbled with that as well. Most manufacturers stuck with the tried and true motor assembly as one unit.

OP
Z

Zerimas

It's

At $18k, I wouldn't call the SL-1000R "mass market".

Well, still much cheaper and objectively better than a lot of turntables out there. But yeah it is pretty expensive. I actually don't know to whom the SL-1000R is supposed to marketed toward. The people who have that much cash to spend on a turntable are generally buying something with a belt-drive or a Shindo which uses an idler wheel and has a drive that was designed in 1956 (or thereabouts—I can't remember).

OP
Z

Zerimas

@restorer-john

OMG. I am stupid. There is a reason I didn't go into engineering. Apparently I can't understand schematics or diagrams.

When I think "platter on top of a motor" I am thinking something like this
1567133578196.png

Only rotated 90º with a plate stuck on top.

1567133624297.png

This is slightly different, right? I think?

I am mechanically inept (I break things all the time). I also have nonverbal learning disability, which as I understand it, means that the disparity between my verbal and procedural intelligence (we're talking about a gap of 54 points if I am remembering the scores from the comprehensive IQ test that I did 20-years-ago) is so great that my brain actually doesn't work like other people's. Even though my IQ was measured when I was 9, NLD wasn't diagnosis at that time (I think the first references to it in medical literature are from 1998—which was 1 year after I did the test). The label was stuck on me roughly 7-years-ago as the result of a very long psychoeducational assessment.

My point is that I may actually be slightly stupid. Looking at these diagrams and pictures of motors has actually tasked my brain so much that I feel slightly physically ill. I also could have sworn there were magnets on the bottom the platter of PS-X800. Maybe I am losing it.

I am going to watch this week's episode of Cop Craft now. I should stick to my strengths.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When I think "platter on top of a motor" I am thinking something like this
index.php

Only rotated 90º with a plate stuck on top.

The motor you pictured is a high speed induction motor, usually to run at one speed although variable frequency drive can offer a range of speeds.

Direct drive turntables are obviously very low speed motors which need to be driven with dedicated electronics to give uniform rotational characteristics. The Technics motors in the new turntables are not remarkable to me, other than they can be individually trimmed in the factory and use a sophisticated shaped drive to each coil that can be individually set in the firmware on the production line. They also use an additional set of offset coils and magnets in the top models. Are they really any better than the motors of yesteryear? I'm not convinced and have yet to see any tests which show they are superior.

Most belt drives use DC servo motors, synchronous AC motors driven by either the line frequency or dedicated frequency generators (can be Quartz Xtal derived) or even a few implementations I've seen with BSL quartz locked motors driving a belt.

OP
Z

Zerimas

The motor you pictured is a high speed induction motor, usually to run at one speed although variable frequency drive can offer a range of speeds.

Direct drive turntables are obviously very low speed motors which need to be driven with dedicated electronics to give uniform rotational characteristics. The Technics motors in the new turntables are not remarkable to me, other than they can be individually trimmed in the factory and use a sophisticated shaped drive to each coil that can be individually set in the firmware on the production line. They also use an additional set of offset coils and magnets in the top models. Are they really any better than the motors of yesteryear? I'm not convinced and have yet to see any tests which show they are superior.

Most belt drives use DC servo motors, synchronous AC motors driven by either the line frequency or dedicated frequency generators (can be Quartz Xtal derived) or even a few implementations I've seen with BSL quartz locked motors driving a belt.

Actually I think manufacturers just discovered once again that you can use a servo system in a turntable. Fluance is the only manufacturer I can think of that uses DC motors with some kind of servo. AT and like are all DC motors sans servo. Everything "high-end" (or that aspires to be) is AC synchronous (Linn, Pro-ject, Rega, et cetera). Sometimes the have a fancy PSU.

Werner

Everything "high-end" (or that aspires to be) is AC synchronous (Linn, Pro-ject, Rega, et cetera).

That was correct ... in the 70s and 80s.

Today? Not. Plenty of DC, servoed DC, and brushless DC out there.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, still much cheaper and objectively better than a lot of turntables out there. But yeah it is pretty expensive. I actually don't know to whom the SL-1000R is supposed to marketed toward. The people who have that much cash to spend on a turntable are generally buying something with a belt-drive or a Shindo which uses an idler wheel and has a drive that was designed in 1956 (or thereabouts—I can't remember).
Me :)
I worked on R&D of record players 40 years ago and if my Goldmund Reference died irreparably this is what I would buy

Top Bottom