Search results

1. D

Chinese DriveHack PA2 Hopeful Improvements

Basically, yeah! FOr me, C26 and C17 were the absolute worst offenders in the mid-low end. I also experimented with bypassing C26 and C17 which removed the signal from the diode array. THe opamps seem to clamp the voltage regardless and even at 16dbu input I was never seeing anything...
  2. D

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

That leaves the channel imbalance of the cheap pot in place. I also wanted to see how they were assembled and if I could force them to a specific input so I wanted to open them up for some other reasons. I also wanted to see if the microcontroller was doing anything with I2C to put it in a...
  3. D

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/leaf-dac-dual-9038q2m-vs-gustard-x16-pictures-inside.22264/page-12#post-1374254 has proper pinout.
  4. D

Yeah it's really mediocre. That's why the first thing I did to both my PA3s amps after some metering was fixed attenuation on the input. Infineon recommends 1.8Vpp (not Vrms, but Vpp) for input signal. The consumer will need to know if primary use will be RCA or XLR. If RCA, then the bypass...
  5. D

I have nothing kind to say about the quality of the pots chosen. Unknown brand (CTR?) 4-gang, 9.6x11.15mm size, 5k value. Each gang handles one side of a differential signal pair. SE is converted to differential by an OPA1656 in front of the input selection relays. Measuring one I removed-...
  6. D

Never Go Full Gustard: An X20 non-U Adventure (Dual 9038 in a dual 9018 house? Or just a house fire?)

When you want to make a solder bridge, nothing wants to bridge. And I really want a magnifier working these .15mm distances. I also thought that reprogramming the CPLD might be simpler than decompiling the firmware. I was wrong. I think. At least, Quartus seems like it would take ages to...
  7. D

Never Go Full Gustard: An X20 non-U Adventure (Dual 9038 in a dual 9018 house? Or just a house fire?)

Sketchy soldering time! That fit :cool: Needs some filing. Crystek clock came in an antistatic bag and nothing else. The opa1622's though.... Board size for reference: Some eyestrain and a lot of bracing my shaky hands..... those are tweezers, One more to go, and then we will see if...
  8. D

Slightly sad news. The firmware goes into an error locking loop if it cannot get valid I2C from the DAC chips. I found this out when I tried to reassemble and verify everything still worked but forgot I had already removed the coax clock tower. (no clock = no I2C). I have found the chunk in...
  9. D

Is there any ''topping '' as a phono ?

I like the Emotiva XPS-1. THey have been on sale off and on for $99 USD. The form factor and dip switches grabbed me. Slides right under the TT too, and it's 12V so if you have a 12V table you aren't afraid to cut into.... single power supply. It's like a built-in pre but way better.
  10. D

Huh things are kicking off faster than I expected. LDOVR regulators ordered. Got 2x 500mA 0.4uVrms units at 3.3V and one 1A dual unit at 1.3V. Space will be a bit tight. Hoping I can 'make' some copper wires to place the 3.3v units so that they can sink to the chassis. I think the 1.3V unit may...
  11. D

Did Amazon / Echo Miss An Opportunity?

ah, and I should have been more clear. The Echo division is indeed losing money. But they could have re-framed it to with internal cost sharing or they could have had the echo division "charge" the AWS division for each 'unit' of data provided to them which would otherwise have to be prompted...
  12. D

Did Amazon / Echo Miss An Opportunity?

Ah! But they DID monetize it. I had the opportunity to go to an AWS advanced training and I asked the presenter a few questions about their intent/tone/customer response software. Much of the data on intent and voice/tone.customer satisfaction in their automation was sourced from Alexa...
  13. D

Do I really need 3 remotes to watch TV.

I use the Sofabaton U1. It does work for FireTV and all my other stuff. Some caveats: -I cannot find a way to enter codes manually. You can learn from original remote or use the profiles they share online via the app, but you cannot manually enter codes. Not a problem if you have the...
  14. D

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

This DAC does have such bypasses (C29, C30). Here's one whole channel's I/V stage. On the right edge of the photo it enters the 2nd voltage follower stage We call it an I/V stage (Current -> Voltage) but it could easily be called a double transimpedance amplifier layout. The sections in...
  15. D

Frequency sweep and hearing loss.

I believe it is mostly SPL dependent. NIOSH (National Institude of Occupational Safety and Health) says that anything above ~122dB SPL will cause instant, cumulative, and irreversible hearing damage. They do not specify any frequency nor range. Everything is just SPL and duration. When we...
  16. D

So, back in my early days of being able to afford better gear, I snagged a newly-released Gustard X20 (not the X20u with the USB card). THis unit served me faithfully until about 2019, when I decided that the DX7 Pro was good enough to ditch the HP amp (many) / DAC stack and convert to an AIO...
  17. D

I don't see much to go very wrong in the PA3s. Aside from the amp chips and a single UC there's just a few transistors, I think 3 LDO's and a single opamp. I think fewer than 5 SOT-23 transistors, 3 LDOs, one STM8, 2x MA12070 chips, and the rest are SMD passives. There might be 2-4 through hole...
  18. D

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

I finished season one. Not bad. I;d say less than 50% of the dialogue was spoken. Some of the actors were not quite on the same level as others. I would really love to see more Andy Serkis in season 2. That really did not feel like a finale though. The latest crop of SW universe shows, excepting...
  19. D

CNC thread

My mill is just a lil' guy. A Precision Matthews PM-25MV. 750mm on the X, ~180 on the Y and I think 200ish on the Z? 1hp belt drive. Just a benchtop unit. I had to move it alone so that influenced my choices a bit. I actually believe the shavings are easier to deal with than wood dust. They...
Top Bottom