Search results

1. anmpr1

Tube Availability

Anyone have knowledge of vacuum tube availability, now that economic sanctions are in the mix? I hadn't thought about it, but Phil McNight brought up the issue in his weekly guitar podcast. Chinese tubes are an option, but who knows how it will go if that situation changes? I bought a couple...
  2. anmpr1

Physics of Resonance

Is it the God Particle, or is it Memorex... The same phenomenon by which an opera singer can shatter a wineglass also underlies the very existence of subatomic particles... https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-the-physics-of-resonance-shapes-reality-20220126/
  3. anmpr1

Hi-Fi Gear as Musical Instruments

Audiophiles are said to be of two types: 1) those who use music to listen to their gear, and 2) those who use their gear to listen to music. But what about a third type: those who use their gear to make music? Below are three examples that came to my mind. There must be others, but these are...
  4. anmpr1

Bike Advice

Since the house arrest lockdown, I haven't been able to go to the gym as before. So waifu and I are looking to buy a (recumbent) exercise bike. I see them on-line with prices ranging from less than two hundred dollars, to two thousand. I just want something that is decent and going to last...
  5. anmpr1

Audio Science Innovators

I haven't see a thread for it, but since this is ASR I was thinking about those who contributed most to the application of scientific principles in audio--mostly in a domestic environment. That is, designers whose work is/was 'non-tweako' but based on hard scientific theory, either existing or...
  6. anmpr1

FYI: Burwen Low Noise Preamplifier

In a discontinued thread there was a question of whether a particular Mark Levinson preamp device (which looked sort of like an engineering mock-up) could have been a LNP-1. As far as I know there was never a Levinson LNP-1, however the 2 was designed by Richard Burwen. In the early '70s and...
  7. anmpr1

Bose Shuttering Stores

This should probably be under the "Audio Equipment Not for Sale". Just read that Bose is closing its retail outlets and laying off sales force. To tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in a Bose store. Just another sign of the death of brick n mortar. If anyone lives near a store...
  8. anmpr1

Shure v Pickering Resonance

This is a spin off from the Schiitt turntable thread, which I didn't want to pollute with more off topic stuff. We were discussing the use and abuse of the Shure/Stanton brushes as they relate to controlling arm-cartridge resonance. Since I have a new M97xE and a NOS Pickering XV-15 1200e...
  9. anmpr1

Golden Age of Japanese Audio

For those of you who have not seen it before, below is a link to a long running Japanese Website featuring mostly '70s through '90s gear. A lot of it was never imported to the US, and those that were often carried different designations. Just for fun. http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/
Top Bottom