Search results

1. antennaguru

Class D amp long term reliability

I received and installed the new Class D plate amp from Anthony Gallo Acoustics, and it sounds great - just like the last one. I am very happy that my $1000 subwoofer is back on line with only a $210 repair! The system sounded a but anemic without it. Hopefully this new replacement plate amp...
  2. antennaguru

^^^ This is my definition too! My IRS Beta subs are therefore NOT "active" because speaker cable/wires go to them, and the amps sending signals to them over the speaker cable/wires connected to them are external to the subs, and stacked in the equipment rack. Their amps are in fact Class D...
  3. antennaguru

By this vague definition EVERYTHING is "an active speaker system" - including my clock-radio. I guess, since the speaker, radio, and amplifier are inside one box it's even an active speaker at that. Probably a good time to stop defining terms, and other wildly off-topic discussions, and get...
  4. antennaguru

I have personally had very good experiences with the ICEpower 125ASX2 modules (125 WPC into 4 ohms). In the four (4) that I have built into various chassis zero (0) have failed. I did pay attention to the datasheet mounting requirements and I did NOT use any forced air ventilation - only...
  5. antennaguru

Well, I didn't "do this" before and I will not accept this flawed definition - however you happen to feel about it. Sounds like that must have been a frustrating thread, and I can see why you feel that way. A filter network is a cross-over, and many full range driver implementations do not use...
  6. antennaguru

Well then I simply don't agree with this definition. By your definition every full range speaker that has no crossover has thereby become an "active" speaker - since by your definition there is no crossover between the amplifier and the speaker. My excellent AGA Strada 2 speakers are the main...
  7. antennaguru

Interesting that your definition of active speakers is my definition of passive speakers - aka speakers WITHOUT built-in amplification. My IRS Beta subs have an external controller and 2 separate external amplifiers, and I consider them passive subs that use external amplifiers along with an...
  8. antennaguru

What with the well known poor reliability "reputation" of plate amps, I am hard pressed to understand why there is so much enthusiasm here on this site for active speakers. Plate amps are after all specifically designed for use in active speakers, with plate amps being the most common failure...
  9. antennaguru

Yes, this I have learned. However, I have also had a small 5 year old ICEpower 50ASX2 Class D amplifier module in a nicely ventilated chassis fail as well - out of the blue with no sign of stress. It just wouldn't turn on one day, just like the plate amps. It was never abused.
  10. antennaguru

Yet another failed Class D subwoofer plate amp! This latest one was on a system in our mountain house and was purchased new directly from the manufacturer, Anthony Gallo Acoustics in 2014. It was never abused and was sparingly used on a very nice sounding stereo system with passive wall mounted...
  11. antennaguru

My ceiling fan is causing interference in my DAC/AMP

Sounds like you should try installing a 0.1uF 400V disc capacitor across the switch contacts to mitigate/snub the arc caused by switching your inductive load on and off. This will also keep your switch contacts from being vaporized over time.
  12. antennaguru

Warp filtering.

Very nice turntable! You have done well with your concave platter shape and clamp to flatten records as best as can be done. There are some other approaches that work well too (e.g., Townshend Rock, Oracle), but some warps are not so simple and cannot be completely eliminated (e.g., edge warp)...
  13. antennaguru

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

Actual Power Consumption Measurements of simple Audio System, playing music over various power amplifiers: Notes: Nakamichi 630 Preamp Tuner receiving a Jazz station and powering various power amplifiers to moderately high peak volume level over 86 dB efficient passive loudspeakers...
  14. antennaguru

Modius/Magnius/Lokius issue….did I blow up the Modius by adding the Lokius?

What a useless thread! Duffer Dan needs to go back to the golf course and keeping duffing...
  15. antennaguru

Active is better sounding than passive

I once accidentally cooked a voice coil on a passive loudspeaker I was testing, and that time was purely my mistake during late night bench testing. I was able to source a replacement voice coil and replace it even though it was a vintage loudspeaker, and the manufacturer was long gone several...
  16. antennaguru

The points you're missing are why should the customer have to bother with handcrafted solutions, and why didn't the manufacturer continue to support their product beyond 10 years with replacement parts/plate amps? There are a multitude of alternative ways to solve the broken obsolete plate amp...
  17. antennaguru

I have owned 3 different active loudspeakers that should have become obsolete when their internal amplifiers failed, and replacement plate amplifiers were not available from their top rated manufacturer. These were each around 10 years old when they failed, and would have been destined for the...
  18. antennaguru

OFC or CCA speaker cable?

12 Gauge copper wire only has around 1.6 ohms resistance per thousand feet at DC, so short lengths clearly present a measurement challenge - as already pointed out by others. Don't even bother trying to accurately measure a short 10 or so foot length with a multimeter and alligator clips. IME...
  19. antennaguru

High-Resolution Vinyl Disc Playback, How do you EQ older discs

When RIAA EQ sounds too dull, like with my 78 collection, I instead use a phono stage with the same bass boost associated with RIAA but I don’t use the RIAA treble cut. Instead I insert a Burwen dynamic noise filter (aka DNF) after the phono stage to crush the hiss during the quiet passages...
Top Bottom