Search results

1. N

Nyquist and non sine waves

I've been reading up on the Nyquist Shannon theorem and I think I understand the basic concept. The explanations I've seen all involve a sine wave that can be reconstructed perfectly since only one sine wave mathematically fits samples taken, below the Nyquist limit. That's all fine. But could...
  2. N

Cannot get DAC to show higher than 96khz

OK, firstly I realise that it's a waste of time playing extremely high sample rate audio but it's annoying me that I don't understand why my DAC isn't registering it anyway. So I'm playing a 24bit 352KHz test track on MusicBee, on a Windows 11 PC, into an SMSL M100 MkII DAC via USB, using...
  3. N

Measurements vs "real world" question

Rreading various discussion on the internet, I've see this argument a few times, in various forms re: the validity of ASR amplififer measurements, which, according to the claim, renders them no necessarily useful in the real world. E.g. : "Speakers aren't a purely resistive load like the test...
  4. N

Old DAC vs New

I have an old Cambridge Audio One all-in-one system which has a USB DAC stage using a Wolfson WM8728. I'm playing mostly standard FLACs via MusicBee. I'm wondering if DACs have come on a lot since this machine was built (over 10 years ago). I also have an SMSL M100 MKII running the SABRE...
  5. N

My cheap ebay USB isolator

I had groundloop noise on my USB output, noticeable through my amplifier when the amp is turned up high with no music playing. I got one of these...
  6. N

SMSL M100 Mk2 USB volume query

I have a SMSL M100 mk2 DAC connect to my Windows PC. When I use the USB driver and connection, whenever I turn on my music player and have it using WASAPI exclusive, I notice that the volume of the device in Windows gets set to 67 - every time. I can adjust and it will go to 100 and sounder...
  7. N

What does "fast" mean with regards to an amp?

I was reading some reviews of old amps on What Hi Fi and they described a Cyrus on as "fast, articulate and agile". What does that mean exactly? It implies that some element of timing is in play but surely with an analogue amp, the output signal is pretty much instantaneous to the input signal...
  8. N

DAC output volume (SMSL M100 Mk2)

I'm using an SMSL M100 Mk 2 DAC connected to my Windows PC and outputting to a amplifier/speakers. I notice in the Driver Control Panel, that you get when you install the official drivers, there is an Output Volume section where I can set Master Volume and volume for each channel. Is there any...
  9. N

I've become obsessed that my right speaker is louder than my left speaker.

I've become obsessed that my right speaker is louder than my left speaker. I've asked other people and they say it's not louder. I've swapped over connectors and that doesn't change anything. I don't have measuring mics but tried measuring SPL from pink noise using my phone at a measured...
  10. N

PC audio noise not solved by USB DAC/dongle

I don't know what my expectations should be, but I've been testing the background noise for my audio connection to my PC - either via headphone out direct to my amplifer (driving speakers) or via a Soundblaster Play 3 USB dongle. I turn the volume of the amp right up and immediately there is a...
  11. N

Music players, bit-perfect, DACs etc - a few questions

I'm a bit confused about DACs, bit-perfect output, audio players and their interactions If I use the WASAPI settings in MusicBee, the app that comes with my little Soundblaster USB DAC dongle becomes inactive - changes to things like EQ don't change the audio. So does that mean the WASAPI...
  12. N

PC audio to amplifier interface

Hi. I've recently set up a super budget hifi for my little cabin/office. It's all used kit off ebay: Cambridge Audio S30 speakers, Cambridge Audio One CD/Radio/Amp unit. I play all my audio via my PC - a mix of audio files from my media server or streaming services. At the moment, the audio is...
Top Bottom