• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does "fast" mean with regards to an amp?

Nozza

I was reading some reviews of old amps on What Hi Fi and they described a Cyrus on as "fast, articulate and agile". What does that mean exactly?
It implies that some element of timing is in play but surely with an analogue amp, the output signal is pretty much instantaneous to the input signal?
How would such things show up in measurements?

Or is it actually a pscyhoacoustic effect related to maybe the low frequencies that are used in the rhythm section of pop music - bass and drum kicks?

Or a load of waffle?...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"fast, articulate and agile".
I think it is the reviewers imagination.

with an analogue amp, the output signal is pretty much instantaneous to the input signal?
A decent amp operating within it's limits has good linearity in that the the input is similar to it's output. The better the amp the better the linearity and the better the accuracy and drive to the transducer.

Or is it actually a pscyhoacoustic effect related to maybe the low frequencies that are used in the rhythm section of pop music - bass and drum kicks?
I suspect some people focus on the mid bass, mids and think of speed and attack.

Or a load of waffle?...
Most likely. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I was reading some reviews of old amps on What Hi Fi and they described a Cyrus on as "fast, articulate and agile". What does that mean exactly?
It implies that some element of timing is in play but surely with an analogue amp, the output signal is pretty much instantaneous to the input signal?

Or a load of waffle?...

Might be some version of impedance (damping) or slew rate (high frequency performance) commentaria.

highpurityusbcable

It's from an Audio Gear Review Generator. Creates an audiophile review with a couple of clicks using keywords like "fast, clean, warm, clinical, airy, holographic, neutral" etc.
I once visited a site of some reviewer where every single IEM set had an "agile bass".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be some version of impedance (damping) or slew rate (high frequency performance) commentaria.
What HiFi commonly uses these sort of terms to describe their testing of various audio gear. It's gooblygook.

Examples from What HiFi webpage:
-Transparent across frequencies
-Expressive dynamics
-Full-bodied, detailed sound
-Powerful, agile bass
-Lively sound
-Even-handed, informative nature
-Sensational sense of timing
-Beautifully balanced
-Insightful sound
-Surefooted with rhythms
-Ace dynamics
-Good composure and insight
-Stunning resolution and agility

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What HiFi commonly uses these sort of terms to describe their testing of various audio gear. It's gooblygook

I was trying to be generous.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well.
The speed of sound and the speed of light are both -- well, OK, within some constraints ;) -- constants.
I mean, 50 years ago, we were all into slew rate and TIM (transient intermodulation distortion) but that's not stuff you hear much about any more.
Draw your own conclusions.

TheWalkman

What HiFi commonly uses these sort of terms to describe their testing of various audio gear. It's gooblygook.

Examples from What HiFi webpage:
-Transparent across frequencies
-Expressive dynamics
-Full-bodied, detailed sound
-Powerful, agile bass
-Lively sound
-Even-handed, informative nature
-Sensational sense of timing
-Beautifully balanced
-Insightful sound
-Surefooted with rhythms
-Ace dynamics
-Good composure and insight
-Stunning resolution and agility

Versus, “The amp sounds great. The end.” This type of review isn’t particularly good for long term readership of a website or magazine.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Or a load of waffle?...

Has been discussed in this thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lifier-speed-and-resolution-be-measured.5906/

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely the speed of an amp depends on the height one drops it from.

But then you don’t know exactly where it is.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Or a load of waffle?...
In What Hifi it likely means ‘I like to receive advertising revenue from this manufacturer’ or ‘this amplifier class a/b is made by a small to medium size British manufacturer’.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom