Search results

1. M

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

I somehow ended up in another forum when this issue blew up. I tried having a conversation with one of the participants in that forum who argued Eric/Tekton had an opportunity to sue Amir due to various reasons. I am not going to regurgitate our whole conversation in that forum, and why (s)he...
  2. M

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

You are right, a $200 DAC/AMP will not necessarily match the transparency of a $10,000 unit because it measures to some subjective holy grail. Instead, we should rely on our ears, well better yet, the ears of numerous persons to try and arrive at an objective holy grail. Luckily, for...
  3. M

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

I may be wrong, but I think the engineer in charge of speaker design at Sonos is the same individual who designed the Boston Acoustics e100, apparently a well designed speaker.
  4. M

NAD M23 Stereo Amplifier Review

My apologies, but I find the sentence confusing. Could you please clarify/elaborate? Thanks
  5. M

Kenwood L-05M Vintage Amplifier Review

Yes, but in those days, $900 USD for a pair of monoblocks would have been considered fairly cheap. Most 100 watt rated amps from the USA, Canada, UK, NZ, Germany and France would have cost substantially more ($2k-$5K). Even the Hitachi HMA 8500 stereo amp was likely a little more expensive...
  6. M

PS Audio FR30 speakers

I have not had a chance to read the full thread, so I'm not sure if anyone posted this, but HiFi News did some measurements (limited compared to what an instrument such as Klippel provides) of the speaker and the frequency response raises serious concerns (even though the chart provided is of...
  7. M

Audiophile jewelry - most beautiful Cd players, turntables and other gear

Interestingly, I owned that combination. ET2 with the Oracle Delphi I. Bad mix. Air-bearing tonearms, to perform their best, need a base that is perfectly level at all times. Because of their spring suspension, turntables such as the Oracle would slightly shift the level from one side to...
  8. M

ADC Recommendation

Those are interesting options. One would imagine the Genelec would be fairly transparent, but I would like to see some measurements to confirm it. The Gra-Vue also looks interesting, but I would need two of them, whereas the Genelec could handle 4 channels of analog.
  9. M

ADC Recommendation

Thanks for your concern. I have 4 different setups, including Atmos, 7.1 and 5.1. I "high-end" analog setups, and very well designed digital setups. I am happy with the above noted setup and there is nothing to re-evaluate, I just need to be find a reasonable way to convert my analog effects...
  10. M

ADC Recommendation

A processor with RCA outputs (JVC XP 1010). It's a processor from the 90s with some nice features allowing it create certain hall effects. The system in my family room is not ideal for 7.1 + systems, but the configuration provided by the XP 1010 works well. However, for personal reasons I...
  11. M

ADC Recommendation

Which Motu or focusrite would you suggest? It will go to a Processor I use to convert digital to analog. The reason I need to convert the original analog to digital is because the processor I use for music and tv is setup to receive digital signals. Yes, it is a bit of a mess :facepalm:
  12. M

Kenwood L-08C Pre-amplifier Review (Vintage Audio, QuirkAudio restored)

Back in the early 80s I was trying to purchase a Perraux amp, and went to a dealer that advertised it, only later to find out he no longer carried it. Being a "High-End" dealer, he had moved on to better SS amps. I should not have listened to him, because the amp he sold me twice needed...
  13. M

ADC Recommendation

Try this link. It's the second to last board
  14. M

ADC Recommendation

It may be an option, if I can't find a reasonable box ready option. A PCM1804 board can be had for $19, so $38 for two including shipping (2 x 1802 can be had for $12.5 including shipping). The same vendor offers a power board for $17 including shipping, and it seems to provide sufficient...
  15. M

ADC Recommendation

Thanks for the response. I want to use it to convert an analog signal coming from a single ended audio processor. I would prefer a box, but would consider a DIY project that is not too complicated. By transparent, I mean it does not alter the analog signal in a manner that can be heard; i.e...
  16. M

ADC Recommendation

I am looking for a 4-channel (or 2x2) analog to digital converter. I would like it to be transparent and for it to be very low latency, connections are RCA (although I can deal with XLR/TRS). Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.
  17. M

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Yes and no. I am not a vinylphobe. My turntables range from an air-bearing turntable with a 70 lb platter, to modified DD Japanese turntables from the golden age, but the limitations of LPs are well established and there is nothing magical about LP reproduction. Your preference most likely...
  18. M

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

There is an interesting article indirectly dealing with the analog vs digital debate in the Washington Post (available here without the WP paywall). Esposito, an individual owning a record shop in Phoenix, stated on his youtube video, that according to “pretty reliable sources” the highly...
  19. M

The perfect speaker is room dependent - wide vs. narrow directivity and more

I'm not sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you suggesting speakers be designed with the direct sound approaching "the desired in-room response"; i.e. its anechoic measurement should not approach flat as much as possible but instead slope like "the desired in-room response"? If that is...
  20. M

Why are preamps so expensive?

It seems decent, but if one does not need a headphone amp, I think it is not that good a value considering the value proposition of a MiniDsp Flex. Analog input, multiple digital inputs, Bluetooth, parametric eq, Dirac Live, digital x-over, 4 analog outputs, and for less money (and available in...
Top Bottom