Search results

1. Xulonn

Latest BS Amplifier from Fosi - T3 with 2 preamp tubes, no output tubes or transformers - 50wpc???

Meaning of travesty in English: Something that fails to represent the values and qualities that it is intended to represent, in a way that is shocking or offensive: Photo from Audiophonics, who sells it for 139€
  2. Xulonn

Audio gear or appliances that are good "investments" or valuable as "vintage items"???

Two caveats: 1. This is not a future or even present thing for me. At 80 y/o, I won't be around for items that are new today to become "long term" investments. Plus, there are no thrift shops or the occasionally found cast-offs here in Panama as there are in the USA and Europe. But I...
  3. Xulonn

Audio-Technica resurrects its Sound Burger portable turntable from the '80s

The 2022 Sound Burger is available to buy starting today for $199/£200/€229...LINK
  4. Xulonn

U.S.A.'s last cassette tape manufacturer spews B.S.

The Smithsonian Magazine online has an article dated January 31, 022 [LINK] about the "renaissance" of audio cassette tapes that contains worse B.S. and inaccuracies than I've encountered since I last watched a Danny Ritchie or Paul McGowan YouTube video about audio cables or power cords...
  5. Xulonn

"Beautiful" Headphone Amplifier?

I'm not a headphone user - although I do own a Topping DX7s and also have a HIFIMAN HE400SE open-back headphone on my wish-list at Amazon. This morning, when continuing my periodic search for "beautiful amplifiers" to add to my thread on that subject, I stumbled across a fine example of a...
  6. Xulonn

From Atmasphere - how to properly (and neatly) wire a vacuum tube amplifier...

For many years I have been aware of the OTL (Output-TransformerLess) vacuum tube amplifiers designed by of Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere, a small St. Paul, Minnesota company. Ralph's contributions to discussions here at ASR under the handle "atmasphere" have been intelligent, courteous and...
  7. Xulonn

Winamp update released after 4 years ...

Any other Winamp users out there? It has languished for years since founder Justin Frankel and Nullsoft left the scene, and those who took over couldn't keep things going. And now Winamp is back under development and upgrading. There are lots of conversations about it on the internet - just...
  8. Xulonn

Audioengine slanted rubber speaker stands - big improvement for desktop systems.

I don't know if any of you are dumb enough - like m - to plop your little desktop speakers flat on your desktop next to your monitor (or laptop) and live with them that way for far too long. I just bought a pair of simple and elegant-looking $29 Audioengine engineered rubber desktop speaker...
  9. Xulonn

Beautiful Amplifiers? Exploring Art and Audio...

I am initiating this discussion about art and audio with a focus on amplifiers in part as celebration of the "Grand Opening" of a website and online store [LINK] that I built over the past month for an artist friend, Richar Huisa. Richar, like me, is an expat living in Boquete, a small town in...
  10. Xulonn

Aiyima A08 TPA3255 Amplifier - Owner review and initial impressions

Edit: September 8, 2022 I still own the Aiyima A08 and will keep it - but I no longer recommend it as a desktop Amp/DAC to be used with a computer unless you use a separate USB DAC. The amp is excellent, the USB implemention sucks. See my September 8 post below for details. Note: There...
  11. Xulonn

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

I write this with sadness - likely the last post here for this 80 y/o audio hobbyist and music lover - as my beautiful 6CA7/6SN7 YarLand vacuum tube amplifier warms my tiny house. It's been a very good life. I was sick two weeks ago, during which I fell (slowly, gently) twice and it took me...
  12. Xulonn

Current music from and about Ukraine and its people- no politics, please.

My inspiration for starting this thread is a clip of a classical orchestral music performance that was posted on YouTube today with this description: If you are a classical music lover, and wish to support these musicians, here is a LINK...
  13. Xulonn

Output tube interchangeability - using different types of tubes in an amplifier???

Although there has been some discussion here at ASR about tube-rolling and it's usefulness or worthiness, none of those discussions focused on output tubes. The big, power-hungry tubes that feed output transformers (or not, in the case of OTL amplifiers like Atmasphere) have been mentioned, but...
  14. Xulonn

Playing for Change Open Thread - "When the Levee Breaks" is the latest from this great music source.

I stumbled across a Playing for Change music video a couple of years ago, not realizing the impact and global following that the program has. I quickly fell in love with the concept, format, and a lot of the music - and the excellent quality of the video and audio. I am astounded at the not only...
  15. Xulonn

Transistors challenge vacuum tubes - the beginning...

I was 12 years old when the below film was produced, and four years away from assembling my first component HiFi system, the heart of which was a Bell Sound Model 2300, a 6L6 push-pull mono amplifier. My nostalgia for the electronics of my youth is manifested by having a quad of EL34's and a...
  16. Xulonn

Switch Issues - 2 amplifiers (SS + Vacuum Tube) to 1 pair of speakers

The problem is that vacuum tube amplifiers can be damaged or destroyed if powered on without a load on the speaker terminals. Therefore the switch should not only switch amplifiers, but also switch the unused amplifier to a dummy load to protect the vacuum tube amplifier in case you...
  17. Xulonn

Another batch of Expat LP's for $1 Each Hits the Local Charity Thrift Store

I am a retired American living on a decent pension, and ten years ago I relocated to the little Panamanian town of Boquete (Spanish for "gap") where the first Europeans settled during the 19th century gold rush. They were heading for California, and wanted to avoid the long and treacherous...
  18. Xulonn

"Pace & Rhythm" = The correct usage of this phrase

From my daily National Geographic email:
  19. Xulonn

Yarland/Ariand Class A Tube Amplifier Thread

As some of you long-time ASR members know, I am an 80 y/o retired American expatriate who lives in Boquete, a small tourist and farming town in the mountains of Western Panama's Chiriqui Province. I have been into audio since my high school days when I lived on the south side of Chicago just...
  20. Xulonn

ASR "Alerts" not working for me.

Windows 11 / Firefox user here. (And long since retired [2001] corporate Microsoft desktop/networking and Novell Networking professional/contractor) I've logged out and back in, deleted all site data including cookies. I don't restrict ASR in any way with Firefox addons, etc. (e.g. no...
Top Bottom