Search results

1. V

Polk R500 worthy upgrade to Elac DBR62?

I'm pondering a similar decision and long term, towers seem the better choice compared to upgraded bookshelves. Although some prefer bookshelves + sub to towers. I'm not clear about that as of yet, will need to do more "research". I saw that Elac has the DFR52 towers in the same series as your...
  2. V

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

I agree as well, with some nuances due to my French background - the French ideal is something unique but in essence it is about freedom too. About the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring Well that is exactly what the news media is pursuing. Especially current news...
  3. V

What (most) Chinese manufacturers don't get

The more discreet the product the better in my case. I've had five mini Chinese components in different rooms for a number of years now and they've been great performers so far. No need to upgrade to next year's model. SMSL, Topping et al. are innovating and other companies are unable to match...
  4. V

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Only in audio! Imagine a world where you could get a $10,000 car that trounces the $200,000 supposedly high-end cars, and a $100,000 home that outshines the $2,000,000 homes. Everybody would be very rich and happy.
  5. V

Why do humans like jazz?

I would definitely agree with you. That professor's remark sounds like he was just trying to be clever honestly, enjoying a little mind game of paradox. A learner might learn a record note for note as an apprenticeship. But regurgitating it note for note in a performance later on would get him...
  6. V

WiiM Pro Streamer

I see. My version is the Pro. It works and it works well. I guess they'll validate the Pro Plus as well soon enough.
  7. V

WiiM Pro Streamer

Are you sure Amir said WiiM does not support Roon though? Roon gives me two options for wifi streaming to the WiiM Pro, named "WiiM Pro-D238 Chromecast" and "WiiM Roon Ready".
  8. V

WiiM Pro Streamer

I'm not familiar with new Bluetooth codecs and where Bluetooth audio quality is at now but bear in mind Chromecast plays over Wifi and gives you bit for bit quality. Since I moved to Roon I don't use Chromecast anymore on the WiiM (Pro version, not Pro Plus in my case) as I now use the "Roon...
  9. V

WiiM Pro Streamer

Chromecast is supported by the WIIM devices. Unless I'm missing something from your description, you would also be able to stream over wifi to the WIIM using YouTube's Chromecast function.
  10. V

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

This is getting heated... worthlessly vindicative, venomous. It is saddening. Our host has built such a beautiful space, he certainly doesn't deserve this.
  11. V

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

Don't they make the Diamonds for about $400 ? Amir gave them a happy panther. But, I agree 100%, and know from experience, it's not a good idea to buy any speakers (or other piece of equipment for that matter) without measurements...
  12. V

All About UFO's

It's hard to see clearly with the amounts of smoke being blown up the public's collective rear ends with that particular topic. It's rather peplexing that up to the New York Times series of 2019 you were a "conspiracy theorist" if you believed remotely in UFOs, but now it's become mainstream and...
  13. V

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

As per Erin's review of the 630s, they were not quite up to JBL's own standards.
  14. V

Harman acquires Roon

I did. It looks like software from a decade ago, which can have its charms and I could have lived with if everything else was solid, but I lost hours trying to make the DSP over DLNA feature work. After investigating the issue, including asking on this forum, it is confirmed not to work, but...
  15. V

Harman acquires Roon

I hate subscriptions too and am about to buy a Roon subscription, here's why: I've tested almost everything available and Roon is able to do everything I need a music player to do easily while others are not. The time (thus money) I lost trying to make others solutions work I could have spared...
  16. V

$8000 versus $14 speaker cable - with measurements

A google search landed me on one such forums the other day... one of the "hifi is no fun if it doesn't cost a second mortgage" places. And there was a thread about... audiophile SATA cables !!! I should have read that thread.
  17. V

DSP over DLNA in JRiver

Thanks. I hadn't checked before, but all servers are running properly. My "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" server has several EQ filters, and that server is associated with my streaming device under "Playing Now". But it's not working.
Top Bottom