Search results

1. Krunok

Pre-ringing with linear phase room EQ filters

For quite some time I was using minimum phase room EQ filters tha I generated mannually with rePhase, but recently I decided to apply full scale time domain correction and go for linear phase response. As a result I got pretty nice looking phase, GD and step response graphs (measured at LP, 4m...
  2. Krunok

Why you need room EQ even with the speaker with perfect anechoic measurements

Ok, I will not say Revel performa3 F208 is a speaker with "perfect" anechoic measuements but most of us would probably agree that it measures really well. Here it is shown how well: I would say that if it wasn't for a little fluctuation in DI's around XO point at 2.2kHz it can really be...
  3. Krunok

Can Amir, as a trained listener, spot audible difference between DACs?

So, would you be interested to know if our host, as a trained listener, can spot a difference between one of the best measured DACs (whichever is available to him) and a DAC on the low end of the green tier DACs in a proeprly conducted blind test? Or maybe even between one of the best measured...
  4. Krunok

Putting THD in the perspective

So, I did a simple speaker distortion test with REW with sine sweep at 87dB level at my LP (4m from the speakers) and this is how it looks: Same graph in db scale. Green line is THD of my amp and blue line of my DAC: And here is the "sound of silence" in my room. So, next time when...
  5. Krunok

Need advice: how to time-align single subwoofer with pair of speakers?

I'm considering buying a SW to enhance LF resposne of my Castle Harlech S2 speakers. Unfortunately, in terms of avialable space and WAF compatibility I can afford to put only one of them (I'm thinking of Kef Kube12b), so my question is how to time-align a single subwoofer with pair of speakers...
  6. Krunok

Brutefir for Volumio now supports REW EQ filters

If you prefer to use REW not only as a measurement tool but also as a tool for automatic/manual creation of EQ filters here is what you should do to use those filters with BruteFIR convolution engine for Volumio: 1. Create your filter in REW 2. Export the filter you created using "Export...
  7. Krunok

Revel Performa 3 vs ML Electromotion ESL - comparative measurements

I ran recently on the russian HiFi site Stereo.ru where I found tests of these 2 speakers. As each of them is a kind of king of it's domain (monopole and dipole) it makes sense to imagine "battle of the titans" to see how they would fare versus each other. So, which speaker won this monopole vs...
  8. Krunok

How to measure phase properly at home using REW?

When trying to do room EQ measurements with REW you will find a lot of information on the Net. You have option to do RTA measurement with pink noise using moving microphone method. Another option is to make several sweeps at and around your LP and use "Average the response" feature under All SPL...
  9. Krunok

Room EQ, do's and dont's

I kindly ask members to share their knowledge and experiences with manual room EQ. I'm in no way expert with this, here's how I do it.. I design my filters with rePhase based on measurements done with REW with calibrated mic. In the 20Hz-600Hz region I make RTA measurements at the area around...
  10. Krunok

Volumio & BruteFIR related discussion

Please post in this thread everything related to Volumio and BruteFIR.
  11. Krunok

Digital remasters - do they sound better or ..?

What is your take, when we see a note on CD stating "digitally remastered" do we generally get a better a sound or not? :)
  12. Krunok

Speakers distortion

I believe it is safe to say that THD and IMD are no longer an issue with well designed DACs and amps. Thank God these days you no longer need to sell your kidney to buy such products as was the situation before. But how it is with speakers? How does THD and IMD of modern speakers, say Revel...
  13. Krunok

Room EQ - do we need it?

This poll is about your opinion on room EQ: do we need it or not, does it work or not?
  14. Krunok

How to make room EQ with Volumio

Current Volumio users may find this news exciting as recently BruteFIR convolution engine has been ported to Volumio platform. At the very beginning I must stress a fact that although BruteFIR is available at all Volumio platforms I do NOT recccomend using it with Raspberry PI (including newest...
  15. Krunok

Linn Kinsky still supported?

Does anybody hear know if Linn Kinsky is still supported meaning that bugs can be reported in hope they will be corrected some day? https://www.linn.co.uk/software
  16. Krunok

Tidal lossless vs lossy test done the right way

Can you hear it? :P http://abx.digitalfeed.net/
  17. Krunok

Why or why not use balanced connections

AES3 and SPDIF share the same low level serial protocol, but while SPDIF was designed for consumer market AES3 was meant to be used in professional envrionment. SPDIF covers max distance of 10m and is thus much cheaper than AES3, which covers max distance of 100m to 1000m, depending on the...
  18. Krunok

How to make Topping D10 act as a preamp

Seeing how well D10 performed on @amirm measurements, especially considering its very modest pricing, probably the same idea crossed minds of many of us: if only this little hero has volume control so it can be hooked directly to the amplifier! It would be even better if the volume could be...
  19. Krunok

Loudness compression, loudness wars.. What exactly it is and why is it happening?

It would be very nice if someone of you takes a little time and explain this loudness thing to the rest of us that don't really know what it refers to. :)
  20. Krunok

My review of Topping D10

Today I received my D10. On this lousy pic you can see it attached to the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. As you can see it is still "work in progress" as I'm still waiting for the case to arrive. :) But ok, as everything is fully functional I decided to make a short write up to describe my impressions so...
Top Bottom