Search results

1. Steve Dallas

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

To me, this question addresses artists who still had a lot to say and were taken too young. The 4 that spring to mind are: Jimi Hendrix Stevie Ray Vaughan (finally clean and sober, putting out great new music and extending his reach beyond his band) Eva Cassidy (on the brink of being...
  2. Steve Dallas

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

I suppose I should update this... I received it back two weeks ago. They said they replaced a power supply board and an amplifier board. They said the delay was waiting on parts. The repair cost me $0 out of pocket, fortunately. Rather than place it back in service, I elected to sell it to a...
  3. Steve Dallas

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Careful. I personally built some of the gear he travels to display ;)
  4. Steve Dallas

The real shame of this situation is it is taking Amir's time. Valuable time in which he could be writing more UNSOLICITED reviews!
  5. Steve Dallas

One has to protect the crystal lattice!
  6. Steve Dallas

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

Start by pointing them straight ahead with no toe-in. Toe them in incrementally from there. I have not worked out the degrees of toe-in for my speakers, but they are only toed in about 1/2" from corner to corner vs. the front wall. That gives me the best imaging and frequency response in my room.
  7. Steve Dallas

The 206 does not have that option, so... no.
  8. Steve Dallas

I have a pair of these, and I am well-pleased with them. In-room frequency response with Dirac correction up to 1KHz (no subs):
  9. Steve Dallas

What is to disagree with? Amir tests samples of products that are out in the wild and posts objective results. Manufacturers can address those results, explain why they value subjectivity over objectivity, remain quiet, or go ballistic. (I don't recommend that last one.) Manufacturers such as...
  10. Steve Dallas

I have 3 first names. Does the third one cancel out 1 of the other 2?
  11. Steve Dallas

One of the cool things about the NFS is you can load its data in Excel and recalculate against a different reference axis (thousands of individual sweeps are included) and get a good idea of how on axis FR would look. And the M-Lore looks... worse at the woofer axis than what Amir published...
  12. Steve Dallas

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Hopefully they send a pair to Erin for review! (And they won't even threaten legal action like a silly eunuch.)
  13. Steve Dallas

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

That is part of it. The additions to the port will show as a small deviation in FR, probably in the midrange. Another dimension is impedance. A leaky box will definitely change the impedance curve. Whether it matters or not depends upon how it is changed. A third dimension is port, or in this...
  14. Steve Dallas

He may have actually motivated owners of his speakers to send them in for review. I know if I had a pair, I certainly would.
  15. Steve Dallas

As a former DIYer who has... err... made mistakes in the past, I can tell you it will mess with the impedance plot. You may not notice if you do not have a good simulation of how it should look. Of course, modern software tools like VCAD make this easy. This is likely the largest area of...
  16. Steve Dallas

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

This is not about winning. It is about punishing Erin with the process and sending message to other reviewers.
  17. Steve Dallas

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

@amirm , I wonder if the 1.2K dip is the shadow flare issue? My R3s showed a similar dip centered there, and after I pushed in the shadow flare rings all the way, the dip disappeared completely.
  18. Steve Dallas

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

I have not received mine back yet. It will go up for sale immediately when I do.
  19. Steve Dallas

Studio Monitors for now until the end

This is a myth. As long as the distance from the rear of the speaker is at least 2x the port diameter, the response will be identical to front reflex. Do not dismiss the Genelecs on this basis.
  20. Steve Dallas

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

She is a constant reminder that once you teach yourself to hear autotune and digital pitch correction, you can never un-hear it.
Top Bottom