Search results

1. sofrep811

ASR Needs A Power Index on the reviews

This would be an easy got to index of all reviews in order of how well the device performed to how badly. I was just checking this site out and they had one and realized ASR did not have listing best to worst. I'd even create the spreadsheet if needed...
  2. sofrep811

DB Systems Resistive Loading Kit -- Old school phono tuning

Would this be a redundant point these days on current phono-pre's? http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/DBP-6MC.jpg
  3. sofrep811

Anyone find great unintended humor on Stereophile's comment section?

This is hardly the best reach around back pat I can find. I just ran across it today. Edited "Back then, a pretty good record player could easily set you back $299, often more. The aforesaid calculator informed me that in today's money that would be...never mind, I won't spoil your fun. The...
  4. sofrep811

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

I'm talking about audio companies that hyperbolize their product's ability to make a system sound better for a price that exceeds what gold costs per ounce--or whatever comparison you'd like to use. I've always considered DECWARE a DIY who does business fare. One the other end of the spectrum...
  5. sofrep811

Archimago asks CHATGPT questions about Audio and Audiophile

This one is pretty strong: Arch: What is the current understanding of the value of high priced audiophile cables more than $1000? Is there enough evidence that they sound different to be worth putting much money into purchasing them? ChatGPT: The current scientific understanding is that...
  6. sofrep811

UHQR Steely Dan - All releases

I'm keep reading this glowing reviews from these special one step or UHQR vinyl releases. Sure, they're cool. How hard are these to really re-master? They're already considered some of the best recorded albums of all time. It seems like these albums are low hanging fruit and I can't imagine it...
  7. sofrep811

Ridiculousness of Pink Floyd’s upcoming DSOTM Box set

It’s a loose count but I think what you get for $300 is 12+ versions of Dark Side and another multiple of the Wembley show. WTH!?! Would I like it? Sure but I’m not paying for all those versions of an album I already own on vinyl and SACD. Im sure it will sell out. Please tell me I’m dumb for...
  8. sofrep811

Idaho Murders

Anyone up for discussing that this Bryan Kohberger might be more intelligent than most think? Was he a horrible mass killer by leaving bread crumbs everywhere? Or was does he have some brilliant get out of jail bed crumb...
  9. sofrep811

Very cool site shows Animated Chart the History of Music Sales through Time.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/visualized-the-rise-and-fall-of-music-sales-by-format/?utm_source=Visual+Capitalist+Infographics+%28All%29&utm_campaign=3832bda5e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_01_11_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_31b4d09e8a-3832bda5e8-46058413
  10. sofrep811

TUBE AMPS AND DISTORTION

Just a question: Is the distortion a creation of the tubes or the transformer? If transformer, what are tubes offering to the audio as it is expelled? Same goes with tubes and DAC--what exactly are tubes adding to help a Digital Audio Converter? Some very intelligent folks here and figured...
  11. sofrep811

Rebuilding my old Mission 772

These speakers have been sitting in a closet the past year and I decided to make them a project only to try it out. I’m going to replace the 5 1/4 Drivers (nominal length) and maybe the the tweeters (they’re in solid shape being silk) and the crossovers. I’m not going to throw much money on the...
  12. sofrep811

Audio Consulting - Silver Rock OPT NOS DAC

Any ever heard of this DAC? I'd love to see Amir test it. The specs are interesting as well. https://www.atelier13-usa.com/audio-consulting-nos-opt-dac SCAM? NOS DAC 16bit / 44.1 KHz Proprietary S/PDIF Input circuit ... the absolutely essential key to unlocking much of the "magic" Four...
  13. sofrep811

Deleted

Deleted
  14. sofrep811

Third World Speaker Build

Interesting look at a DJ style speaker being built in a street side store in India.
  15. sofrep811

Anyone read the latest from archimago's take on Stereophile editorial? Linked here:

It's VERY good. It’s towards the Stereophile editorial that snuck in a jab at Amir. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/07/summer-musings-on-stereophiles-quackery.html
  16. sofrep811

Why are AVR’s cheaper than Integrated?

I believe I know. I’ve been in the hobby for three decades and have only owned two channel (stereo)— analog and digital. However, Im bored and looking at getting into multi-channel for my SACD, BluRay, and CDs. I’m looking at some AVR’s under $1k and am blown away at the amenities I get. Is...
  17. sofrep811

No longer for sale: Emotiva BasX 2 - Nice small amplifier with an XPS1 Phono Preamp MC/MM Adjustable

All like new with original boxes. Looking for $350 and will go to Ebay this weekend. I know this forum isn't busy for Buy/Sell, but figured I'd list it. S/H is cost to ship your preference based on stock dimensions and weight in Emotiva box. I'll let you know if interested. Picture...
  18. sofrep811

FS: Rega P1 Stock Phenolic Black Platter

Standard P1 black platter. Like new and comes with Rega felt mat (which is actually more costly online) $40 + $7 SH Here's Rega's Marketing for it: 23 mm, higher mass, phenolic platter with improved flywheel effect for improved speed stability
  19. sofrep811

FS: Rega Carbon Cartridge/Styli - About 15 hours use.

Basically like new as It came with my P1. Have mounting bolts for it as well. $35 S/H Free.
Top Bottom