• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone read the latest from archimago's take on Stereophile editorial? Linked here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofrep811

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I read the article itself when i found it on the front page after the [silly snide] one. It is crazy, quite depressing, and much more serious than the silly snide one. Read the comments there too, like part of it. I remember that it includes the tired old story rationalising [wealthy] nutcases buying absurdly overpriced cables.
It needs to be explained by social psychology expert, who can break it down, to some extent, so that ordinary people can understand it.
For some reason, the picture for the story is a weird beetle.
More serious - as in, if the silly snide article was worth so many pages of reaction here, this one is worth about 5 times more.
Still, motivated by the same thing - maintaining the illusion for the vested interest network of reviewers and consumers and manufacturers.

Last edited:
OP
sofrep811

sofrep811

I was a huge fan of Archimago before ASR came around. Back then it felt like a small island for people to find someone to challenge the utter BS being perpetrated by the folks who are supposed to be helping you along a fun journey.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing.

Arch is such a balanced guy, which becomes obvious if you read his blogs. He can get long winded but his pursuit of truth and common sense cannot be faulted, he is much like Amir in his work effort and objective outlook.

Both these guys show a lot of courage and conviction and deserve our support.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I like Archimago's musings... I just wish he would abandon that brown font and background of the site. It does a number on my eyes! :cool:
"The human brain is forever on a search-and-destroy mission against ambiguity"
Actually, upon reading the balance of the article, that was a quote;
In Joe Abercrombie's novel Before They Are Hanged, a character spits out this aphorism:
I did like this part;
Being open mindedness is inadequate if one is devoid of knowledge or understanding. In life, there will always be ambiguities, but not necessarily with everything we do, or every hobby we partake in because not everything is that complicated. The audio system doesn't need to be shrouded with all kinds of mysteries as if the best consumer electronics exist on a metaphysical plane. That some people go to extremes with certain audiophile beliefs more likely suggests an element of psychological health that needs to be addressed. I don't think the gray matter craves "dead certainty". I think for most of us, a reasonable amount of understanding is probably good enough, at least to steer clear of some of the most "crooked entrepreneurs" out there who claims to have magical, unproven solutions.

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the article itself when i found it on the front page after the [silly snide] one. It is crazy, quite depressing, and much more serious than the silly snide one. Read the comments there too, like part of it. I remember that it includes the tired old story rationalising [wealthy] nutcases buying absurdly overpriced cables.
It needs to be explained by social psychology expert, who can break it down, to some extent, so that ordinary people can understand it.
For some reason, the picture for the story is a weird beetle.
More serious - as in, if the silly snide article was worth so many pages of reaction here, this one is worth about 5 times more.
Still, motivated by the same thing - maintaining the illusion for the vested interest network of reviewers and consumers and manufacturers.
The picture is a tick not a beetle. It relates to the Lyme disease references in the Stereophile article.

EL_PW

Forum Donor
It's VERY good. It’s towards the Stereophile editorial that snuck in a jab at Amir.

Golly! Things are getting downright pugilistic in the S-Fool comments section:

I wonder who posted that...:p

OP
sofrep811

sofrep811

JSmith

Master Contributor
Audio Critic magazines
Quite the article/s there... love this bit;

1659075072251.png

JSmith

Status