Search results

1. T

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Concord, NH. A lot less imposing in person. That's real gold, tho....
  2. T

IEM bass re: head position/angle

I don't think it's a tip/seal problem (though I could be wrong); I mean, merely tilting my head up through a few degrees doesn't feel as if it distorts the pinna/opening at all.... . Feels more like something internal; was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar; theories...
  3. T

IEM bass re: head position/angle

I couldn't find a discussion of this, so apologies if it's been covered. Like so many, I done sprung for a pair of the 7hz Zero's on the strength of Amrim's exc review; they are indeed impressive. These are my first IEMs, and I notice an odd phenomenon: with my head positioned as if gazing at...
  4. T

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

Viz: Apt/Holman preamp Mode Control, circa 1978…
  5. T

Steep treble rolloff on both Energy V-S rears

Was this curve taken in dipole or dipole mode? Does it shut off (or pad) the tweeter in dipole mode?
  6. T

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

FWIW, Messiaen's work is, generally speaking, very far from atonal. He is the poster-boy of polytonality, combining two (or more) key-centers at once to obtain more complex harmonic structures and movements. If you listen to the posted example with an open ear you should easily discern this...
  7. T

Is it ok to leave a DAC always on?

My MOTU M2 has been on continuously for nearly a year, and other than a little male-pattern baldness and a touch of ED now and again I've suffered no ill effects....
  8. T

cheapish high performance USB ADC for distortion measurements

MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) M2. Equals/outperforms Sc 2i2 in most/all important ways. Widely available at ~$180. I scored one (used) on eBay for $100 and find it superb.
  9. T

'Hidden' living room build, feedback welcome!

Nice! Every time somebody posts a picture here of their listening room, I look around my studio with its pyramids of partially disasembelled gear, obsolete test equipment, and solder-encrusted carpet, and feel like total trailer trash. Of course, it's always possible that I simply am total...
  10. T

Post your most gorgeous vintage (looking) speakers designs!

Braun 710's (best in white). Dieter Rams, man! With an AR amp and AR tt, was my first real system. Yeah, I'm that old...
  11. T

Griesinger's Headphone EQ for Frontal Localization

Greetings to Dr. G.! Any notion of when the Mac OSX version of your SW might appear?
  12. T

Best 4 channel amp for Atmos

Another option is a used/cheap, old-gen AV receiver with multichannel inputs; something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-HTR-5930-5-1-Channel-110-Watt-Receiver-w-Manual-Tested-No-Remote/164346551246?epid=55459160&hash=item2643d15bce:g:5vcAAOSwlMJfPsgm
  13. T

Desktop speakers: Genelec 8320A, Neumann KH-80, AudioEngine A5+

I'd encourage adding the IK Multimedia MTM to this conversation (for near-field use -- not enough poop for far-field other than in closet-sized rooms). I've been listening to a pair for a month and am very impressed. As long as you don't demand head-banger control-room levels, they've got plenty...
  14. T

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

From 1963, age ~18. If there's a more affecting voice on the planet I'd like to hear it. Worth looking up on Qobuz/equivalent better a.q. service:
  15. T

Small amplifier with HPF

This: Elac Element EA101EQ-G. Actually a decent little amp, 80-ish wx2. Does everything you want (settings via free iOS/Android app), plus room/spkr EQ of sorts. NLA, but you can prob find one on ****bay (the auction site that dare not speak its name) for ~$400 -- less if you're feeling lucky.
  16. T

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Yup. A significant design. They sounded bright via phono due to cartridge-impedance mismatch. IIRC, that was one of the main inspirations for Tom Holman in designing the Apt preamp (and Advent receiver, previously), with impedance matching phono inputs. Another endearing AR amp feature was they...
  17. T

Buchardt Audio S400 - My Review

Fantastic report. Lovely global polars ("globars"?)! You know what would be the ulti-shizz, would be if one could somehow integrate them into a translucent 3D model the viewer could "grab" and drag/spin/tilt to the desired orientation. Just dreamin'....
  18. T

Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV Processor Review

I also would be highly interested to see at least a snapshot test from the unbalanced (RCA) output(s) at <2v, enough to confirm/disprove similar performance. First, because we don't know how they are deriving their balanced outs (and god knows, mistakes have been made); second because the vast...
Top Bottom