• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YNP/GTNP trip October 1-4

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On Friday, my son and I were able to drive up from Idaho Falls to West Yellowstone for a late lunch at Old Town Cafe. On the way, we stopped by Mesa Falls, which was just beautiful in the afternoon light. These are the lower fall.
2021-10-01_12-17-25 by MDTshots, on Flickr

After lunch, we headed into the park. Surprisingly to me, for a weekend day, there was no line at all at the West Entrance. The first thing I noticed all over Wyoming and Idaho was how absolutely dry everything is. I guess there has not been much rain at all and the ground is just parched. My hope is that the dryness is partially why it seemed like there were very few animals, other than bison, to be seen. There are usually elk along the river flats on the right side there as you drive into the park, but nothing was there. Maybe it was too early in the afternoon.

As we drove all the way up to Mammoth, the lighting and scenery was beautiful, but we didn't spot any animals. At Mammoth Junction, there were elk grazing on all the grassy areas. I really wanted to drive to the east and try to find a bear, and it was getting dark, so we didn't hang around there. As we drove toward Tower, there is a clearing on the right side after a few miles, at which I've seen bears before. Sure enough, there was a bear a couple hundred yards away in the clearing. But it grazed its way into trees, such that it was hard to get any decent picture. It was hard to tell if it was a grizzly or black bear from that distance and poor light, but I think it was a large black bear.
DSC_1641_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_1642_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_1644_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_1647_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr

On Sunday, we made it to Jackson and made a quick trip into GTNP, looking for moose or bear. We drove up the Moose-Wilson Road all the way to Moose, but didn't see any animals. At the Visitor center, a group of deer appeared and one was kind enough to pose for me.
DSC_1657_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
The lack of large animals notwithstanding, the views of the Tetons from the back of the visitor center were beautiful.
DSC_1650_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_1651_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Monday morning, we drove up to Mormon Row to get some shots in the morning light. It would have been more beautiful if we had arrived earlier, but it was still striking.
DSC_1667_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_1675_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr
Jenny Lake was equally beautiful.
DSC_1689_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr

On Tuesday, after dropping my son off at the airport in Idaho Falls, I again drove back through GTNP and into YNP. It took a long time, but I managed to get to Hayden Valley before dark. Again, no sign of elk or bear. At least I got so see a bunch of bison up close.
DSC_1692_00001 by MDTshots, on Flickr

On my way to my Hotel in Cody in the darkness, I almost ran into three or four deer that ran out right in front of me on the highway about 10 miles on the other side of the park boundary. Good thing I was going the 50 mph speed limit because I was able to slam on the brakes and not hit a one of them. If I'd been going 60 or faster, I would have hit several of them.

I'm thinking since I live so far away and my trips are so infrequent, I won't go back again in the fall. I've been there in late May and that seems like a way better time to see wildlife.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the trip report and nice pictures. I have only been there in winter and it was wonderful. It looks completely different. Love to go another season though.

_MG_2901-XL.jpg

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Nice, thanks for sharing the report! I was planning to go there in summer 2019 but went to Rocky Mountains and Utah instead. Would love to go there some day. Autumn there seems to be really nice and the fact that there were no lines on weekends is very encouraging! From the photos it looks like the peak of autumn colours was just a few days before you went there, is my impression correct?

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Nice, thanks for sharing the report! I was planning to go there in summer 2019 but went to Rocky Mountains and Utah instead. Would love to go there some day. Autumn there seems to be really nice and the fact that there were no lines on weekends is very encouraging! From the photos it looks like the peak of autumn colours was just a few days before you went there, is my impression correct?
Yes, it did look like the fall colors were "past their prime".

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I'd also say if you go to Yellowstone/GTNP in the fall, maybe go around the third week of September. We were in Jackson and Yellowstone from Oct. 1-5 and many businesses in Jackson and facilities in Yellowstone were already closed for the season or were about to close.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure enough, there was a bear a couple hundred yards away in the clearing. But it grazed its way into trees, such that it was hard to get any decent picture. It was hard to tell if it was a grizzly or black bear from that distance and poor light, but I think it was a large black bear.
DSC_1641_00001 by MDT
Nevertheless, it was great that you knew where to look, because in all the years that I've lived in bear country, I've only seen one while hiking, and was amazed at how effectively such large animals can make themselves scarce.

Scottso

We experienced snow when we went in Sept.

Attachments

• Yellowstone 11-3293.jpg
    Yellowstone 11-3293.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Top Bottom