• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Functional need: preamp, streamer, DAC, Room correction/bass management 2.2 system.

wscottdo

Hi,

What would be your ideal component combination for best performance, functionality, and reliability?

Budget is under $5000

I will be music streaming mostly, some TV/movies.

Preamp needs to have TV input, 2 sub out. XLR. Gain no more than 6-9 db has been suggested for preamp.

Need:
Pre-amp
Streamer
DAC
Room correction
Roon endpoint

Simple for the wife to use.

Some things that have been suggested to me so far in my research.

Complete solutions:
NAD m66 (checks all boxes. Reliability, sound, measurement tbd?)
Hifi Rose rs150b (no room correction)
Orchard Pecan Pi+ (using Roon room correction)
miniDSP SHD
Anthem STR preamp (need a streamer)

I am open to your best suggestions.

Thanks for your help. :)

OP
W

wscottdo

Monolith HTP-1 with Dirac Live Bass Control and WiiM mini to stream.
Why would I choose a 16 channel processor when I am focusing on a 2.2 system? Just trying to understand your rationale.

Thanks

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I choose a 16 channel processor when I am focusing on a 2.2 system? Just trying to understand your rationale.

Thanks
Because it’s the most cost effective option for the functionality you want. Yes it has more channels than you need. So what?

I use one in our 2-channel system.

Matt_Holland

Hi,

What would be your ideal component combination for best performance, functionality, and reliability?

Budget is under $5000

Preamp needs to have TV input, 2 sub out. XLR. Gain no more than 6-9 db has been suggested for preamp.

Need:
Pre-amp
Streamer
DAC
Room correction
Roon endpoint

Complete solutions:
miniDSP SHD

Sorry to recommend vapourware but the forthcoming Wiim Ultra ticks all your boxes. That’s assuming that the room correction feature will be available in the Wiim app at some point soon, otherwise you’ll have to do with manual EQ. And that it will get Roon certified shortly after release like other Wiim products have. The Ultra is due for release in May/June I believe. You should have a fair bit of change from $5000 too!

catastrofe

Hi,

Budget is under $5000

Need:
Pre-amp
Streamer
DAC
Room correction
Roon endpoint

Complete solutions:
miniDSP SHD

I currently run a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 in exactly the configuration you're looking at. It's my only piece of gear.
IMG_2225.JPG

Last edited:

al2002

Just one more point. If you use Roon, it can load and run DRC filters generated by software of your choice,e.g. Acorute, Rephase,Audiolense, etc, so you may not need hardware DRC.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently run a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 in exactly the configuration you're looking at. It's my only piece of gear.
A great option if it has enough amp for one's use case, and one never plans to go beyond 2 subs. Probably the best option, really. Little real competition right now. NAD's M10, if they ever get Dirac Live Bass Control on it, would be a competitor.

al2002

IME, Lyngdorf”s RoomPerfect is the least effective of the mainstream DRC systems on the market.

OP
W

wscottdo

Thanks for the replies, so far.

I want to clarify, I am not necessarily looking to check all the boxes with a single unit. I am open to components as well, so long as budget and function are met.

2 subs are plenty for me.

I have the power amp and speakers already; looking for the other pieces mentioned in first post.

Thanks

catastrofe

Thanks for the replies, so far.

I want to clarify, I am not necessarily looking to check all the boxes with a single unit. I am open to components as well, so long as budget and function are met.

2 subs are plenty for me.

I have the power amp and speakers already; looking for the other pieces mentioned in first post.

Thanks
If you already have an amp, I'd look at the MiniDSP SHD or SHD Studio paired with a quality DAC. I've been out of the DAC game for too long, but this should provide plenty of screen time: https://www.l7audiolab.com/dac-sinad-charts/

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IME, Lyngdorf”s RoomPerfect is the least effective of the mainstream DRC systems on the market.
Not sure what you mean by that. In the (admittedly very old, but) only public blind test of room correction systems RoomPerfect was the most preferred commercially available option, and the only commercially available option preferred to no EQ.

FWIW, my experience with RoomPerfect is that it does "less," but the right less, and it does not overcorrect as all the other systems are wont to do unless you put a short leash on them. IMO too many room correction systems aim to please the eye first. With RP, the graphs look less perfect but that does not mean the audible effect is necessarily inferior.

See also https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-lyngdorf-roomperfect-eq.6799/.

melomane13

i use Raspberrypi , camilladsp, with display and remote command on raspberrypios.
requires some diy , but is really fine.

Top Bottom