• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$599 Topping D70 Pro Octo has 8 x CS43198 but its only stereo... this isnt what we wanted

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

this week topping has released another dac

people have already posted it in other threads

i was really excited because I thought it would be like other 'OCTO' dacs but its like Octomom... ultimately less interesting that it should be

I expected 4 sets of rca jacks out the back? Am I wrong? tell me I'm not wrong here...

b7676

CS43198 sounds very nice.

We want multichannel + dsp beyond dm7 and u90 but Topping knows they don't make money in it.
There is barely any market between Motu/RME/minidsp and the AVR.

Last edited:

MBO

This is a good blow for companies that are not ashamed to charge $5,000-10,000 for their products, sometimes even much worse than Chinese HiFi competitors.

MBO

CS43198 sounds very nice.

We want multichannel + dsp beyond dm7 and u90 but Topping knows they don't make money in it.
There is no market between Motu/RME and the AVR.
Unfortunately, this is very complex and problematic and also very expensive, only a few companies have competence in this area, Topping definitely not.

ReDFoX

To be honest, I don’t understand why we need more channels than stereo, there are too few fans of this..
You can implement digital crossover this way. 8ch == fully digital 3-way system + a pair of subs, all controlled from PC or DSPs like ADAU. Multichannel digital correction can also be done such way without usage of expensive AVRs

MBO

You can implement digital crossover this way. 8ch == fully digital 3-way system + a pair of subs, all controlled from PC or DSPs like ADAU. Multichannel digital correction can also be done such way without usage of expensive AVRs
I used to try crossovers with DSP and digital and various expensive studio solutions, after some time and a lot of money, I found that a good active analog crossover sounds much better, I don't know of any DSP ADDA solution that sounds really good, but I'm talking about a real sound quality..

b7676

This is the Motu 8D
Latency+Diagram.png

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ironically the Motu RRPs for the same price

would be a good substitute for the Octo dacs?

F1308

Major Contributor
Ohhhhh.....no phono input !!!!!

And still external antenna...

Come on, Topping, be the first to add MIMO internal antennas...

As for the phono, no need, just joking.

Then remove all jacks and plugs, it is 2023, but mains to recharge a battery lasting a month of 31 days when used 6 hours a day.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an A70 Pro, and those displays are pretty. I don't use them b/c I watch movies over headphones, and I want a completely dark room. That's why my equipment cabinet is black, my SV 2000's are black, my LS 50's and Metas are black, and all my setting for my Octo and A 70 Pro are set to switch off. To me, colored VU meters are a distraction, for the most part. But the sonic performance of the Topping is first rate.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this is very complex and problematic and also very expensive, only a few companies have competence in this area, Topping definitely not.
I disagree, in fact almost every bluetooth module has more sophisticated DSP built in than we get from consumer devices. Believe it or not, even your bargain-bin beach speakers and wireless headphones have 10-band PEQ onboard. It's extremely common for any digital audio parts to come with DSP at the factory. The nicer ones have multi-stage DSP with compressors and psychoacoustic bass enhancers and all kinds of stuff that is never exposed to the consumer.

However, the PEQ is used to tune the speaker at the design stage, and the controls are not exposed to the user.

The user interface is the stumbling block, believe it or not. The capability is already there, or could be added trivially in many cases, but companies don't have much confidence in AVERAGE users using them correctly. (ASR users are an exceptional sort of user, and even then we aren't all experts with PEQ.) They would also need to build and maintain apps that could be used to edit the EQ, also an unappealing prospect, as you now have unlimited liability for maintaining software for a feature with an uncertain price differential.

If you are willing to pay $100 extra for DSP you might get it. But I guess this is not well established in the Topping / SMSL niche.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Hmm. Either the behavior of the circuit does not match what's documented in the datasheet (they included a 5.5-second hysteresis precisely to avoid issues with analog supplies dithering around), or the clicks originate from something else altogether.

The irony is that the AK4377, despite sporting a Class G headphone amp (alongside with DRE for the DAC, i.e. gain switching) and thus facing basically the same challenges, shows no such issues.

Gymboy

Guys, I am going for one D70 Pro OCTO to pair it with my A70 Pro. There will be soon sale on hifigo, so if anyone is to pull the trigger then is the right time. As I have DX312 with same Cirrus Logic chips and they sound warm and full I think this dac might be the perfect pair with amp from same series.

Attachments

• banner.jpg
    banner.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 53

Rover

An interesting device.:p
Why hasn't Amir protested yet?
The DAC on 8 separate chips has not yet been present at Amir's testing.Very interesting!!!:)

Opera Снимок_2023-11-09_202902_www.topping.audio.png

Opera Снимок_2023-11-09_202933_www.topping.audio.png

MBO

Antelope Audio Amari DAC with 8 x CS43198, one of the best DAC to date. So eight CS43198s make a very big leap in terms of sound.
I don't understand why no one is testing the D70Octo??

Top Bottom