Recent content by Vapor9

1. V

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

Not yet my end all DIY, but I've been very happy with these for the last couple of years in my basement listening space. Transducer Labs N26CS-A tweeter Tang Band W5-1611SAF mid Peerless 850146 woofer (sealed) 2nd order from woofer to mid (around 280 hz) and then a 1st order on top (around...
  2. V

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

This must be the reason I find the sound of a DAC inferior to having a preamp in the loop. It's usually argued that a preamp is unnecessary with today's DACs, but that is certainly not my experience.
  3. V

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

I recently purchased the BACCH4Mac software only version and I am very pleased. For years I've run a Carver C-9 unit between my preamp and amp with generally good results. However, the Carver is 1980's technology and it was easy to hear it shortfalls on certain recordings with a kind of...
  4. V

Show us your Cars

Um, you do realize that many race cars that are driven on tracks around the world are actually based on street cars, right? Yes, they are usually modified with appropriate steel roll cages, maybe a safety fuel tank and a halon fire system, but often nothing more than that. Oh, and most are far...
  5. V

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

I think Bruno Putzi and his class D designs would disagree.
  6. V

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Just wanted to share one more Grand Canyon pic...
  7. V

Thanks! Using a Peerless 850146 10-in (sealed), Tang Band W5-1611SA and a Transducer Labs N26CS on top. Bass to mid is a 3rd order at around 225hz, the midrange comes in on a 3rd order and passes off to tweeter around 2800khz 1st order.Actually planning my next set and have a CSS SDX10 for the...
  8. V

Yes, this was shot from south rim looking north. and nice with so few people there. Was about 28deg and windy, but hardly any wind in the winding parts of the trail with trees.
  9. V

Grand Canyon - Dec 30, 2021 - It was cool to see the area covered in snow on this recent visit.
  10. V

Audible difference in players? (Audirvana, JRiver, Roon, MusicBee, etc.)

I completely agree, the audiophile world is full of crap, especially concerning software. I imagine I'll soon have to abandon audirvana as they are pushing towards a rental model and will probably eliminate the integrated mode (or Apple will change something and it will not no longer support the...
  11. V

Audible difference in players? (Audirvana, JRiver, Roon, MusicBee, etc.)

If you're running on OSX, you can run in integrated mode. This allows for audirvana sound without using their music management. It just hooks into your iTunes library. I would probably not use it without this feature. I don't know if windows has this ability.
  12. V

Looking for Preamp recommendation under $1500

I really love my Wyred4Sound STP-SE hooked up to a March Audio p252 amp and my SMSL SU-9 DAC. Unfortunately, it's right at the top of your range, but if you can swing it, I can't imagine you'd regret it.
  13. V

SMSL SU-9 vs Musical Fidelity MX-DAC vs RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Other DACS in general.

Yes, I would agree, two DACS with similar architecture and based on the same chip would probably not be discernible. However, my last three DACS were all based on different chips and different architecture. They were all slightly different to me. Of course, being able to hear those difference...
Top Bottom