• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Midnight Audiophile

Another one of my old cars, a '77 Toyota Celica GT, 5-speed, circa 1985. I loved that body style, very reminisce of the '64 1/2-68 Mustang fastbacks. I had two of these the same color and used one for parts.
IMG_3162.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My car has changed a bit, it did ok in its first car stereo show in master (top class against professionals!)
Nice rig, love to hear it.
At sane volume levels . LOL

I've wanted a black one since soon after that I caught sight
Black is a good color, it seems to fly under the radar a bit better.
I've had a couple red ones that I nicknamed, "Arrest Me Red", it's a man magnet color. LOL

TimF

Forum Donor
The steering wheel in an F1 car costs $50,000 and the engines cost nearly $11 million.
Fools and Damn Fools
On-line there are all kinds of videos of people taking their cars to a race track for fun, and to test their driving skills; and also videos of people who bought expensive "sports" cars and who take them to the track for race days.
All cars, and even so called sports cars, are designed and built and marketed for public street use; and that means for use on public streets that are rigidly designed, built to specifications, and maintained to specifications. Cars marketed for street use MUST as per federal Dept. of Transp. must be built for street use otherwise the manufacturer will be subject to unlimited lawsuits. Conditions of raceways and auto racing are significantly different than conditions found under normal driving conditions on public roads. A vehicle built for raceways and auto racing is not and SHOULD NOT be suited for use on public motorways.
Automobiles equipped with oversized engines and stiff suspensions that are hyped up to be sold as sports or race replica cars are not in anyway race cars or true sports cars. This is the case even if the car is expensive (i.e., $80,000 or up) and has a similar appearance to genuine racing cars. It is a fiction that such cars that appear to be sports cars are in fact sports cars. The auto manufacturer must deliver a product for street use that is designed for and meets the requirements of street use; and that means that the car is definitely not safe for racing or raceway driving. That is the truth.
Race and sports cars bought at auto dealerships are posers and racing them is dangerous as well as stupid. Genuine race cars and genuine competitive sports cars are specially equipped and are indeed costly. Competitive cars specially outfitted for racing and rigorously calibrated for racing cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often millions of dollars.
On-line you can watch countless videos of fools taking their fake and poser sports cars to the track and destroying those cars. The cars fall apart like legos. The cars cannot and should not be able to perform like true racing and competition cars. The requirements for competition are extreme and meeting the requirements is very expensive. Racing is no game, no pretending. Cars bought at auto dealerships cannot perform what we see true competitions cars perform. That cannot make the turns, hold their positions in turns, nor brake as true competition cars can.
Cars bought at auto dealerships aren't race worthy or raceway worthy, and neither are you and I and 99.99% of people able or trained for race and raceway driving. It is guaranteed that untrained people trying to drive on a raceway or to drive competitively on a track will respond inappropriately to nearly every situation. You have learned driving for public streets and you do that well but those habits are inappropriate on the raceway. You're fucked if you try to do actual racing.
Taking your family car out to the track is stupid and very dangerous; kind of like allowing the public to buy assault rifles.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The steering wheel in an F1 car costs $50,000 and the engines cost nearly $11 million.
Fools and Damn Fools
On-line there are all kinds of videos of people taking their cars to a race track for fun, and to test their driving skills; and also videos of people who bought expensive "sports" cars and who take them to the track for race days.
All cars, and even so called sports cars, are designed and built and marketed for public street use; and that means for use on public streets that are rigidly designed, built to specifications, and maintained to specifications. Cars marketed for street use MUST as per federal Dept. of Transp. must be built for street use otherwise the manufacturer will be subject to unlimited lawsuits. Conditions of raceways and auto racing are significantly different than conditions found under normal driving conditions on public roads. A vehicle built for raceways and auto racing is not and SHOULD NOT be suited for use on public motorways.
Automobiles equipped with oversized engines and stiff suspensions that are hyped up to be sold as sports or race replica cars are not in anyway race cars or true sports cars. This is the case even if the car is expensive (i.e., $80,000 or up) and has a similar appearance to genuine racing cars. It is a fiction that such cars that appear to be sports cars are in fact sports cars. The auto manufacturer must deliver a product for street use that is designed for and meets the requirements of street use; and that means that the car is definitely not safe for racing or raceway driving. That is the truth.
Race and sports cars bought at auto dealerships are posers and racing them is dangerous as well as stupid. Genuine race cars and genuine competitive sports cars are specially equipped and are indeed costly. Competitive cars specially outfitted for racing and rigorously calibrated for racing cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often millions of dollars.
On-line you can watch countless videos of fools taking their fake and poser sports cars to the track and destroying those cars. The cars fall apart like legos. The cars cannot and should not be able to perform like true racing and competition cars. The requirements for competition are extreme and meeting the requirements is very expensive. Racing is no game, no pretending. Cars bought at auto dealerships cannot perform what we see true competitions cars perform. That cannot make the turns, hold their positions in turns, nor brake as true competition cars can.
Cars bought at auto dealerships aren't race worthy or raceway worthy, and neither are you and I and 99.99% of people able or trained for race and raceway driving. It is guaranteed that untrained people trying to drive on a raceway or to drive competitively on a track will respond inappropriately to nearly every situation. You have learned driving for public streets and you do that well but those habits are inappropriate on the raceway. You're fucked if you try to do actual racing.
Taking your family car out to the track is stupid and very dangerous; kind of like allowing the public to buy assault rifles.
Yep, that is why someone is killed almost everyday when the public has access to the Nurburgring. Or wait a minute, somehow they don't. How is that?

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fools and Damn Fools
You didn't show us your car.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fools and Damn Fools
OK, Karen, tell us what you really think. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iulianm

The Mazda is a good layout, can’t say I’ve heard one as yet… the bmw hk system is lack lustre at best, for less than the upgrade price you can have a full match system with fully customisable dsp amplifier, all in factory locations that will sound far superior, just in case your contemplating chopping it in for new, don’t pay for hk
I think the HK is a bit better then Bose on the Mazda but could be also due to better insulation, larger door space, and other factors; Mazda has a single subwoofer in the trunk (where the spare wheel is) while BMW has two of them under the front seats; I am unsure of the crossover frequency but I kinda hear and feel (and mostly feel maybe) that the subwoofer in the Mazda is in the trunk.

I've tried to measure my two systems with REW however the measurements vary a lot by mic placement which means the sound is different depending on adjusts the seating position.
I should have probably done a ~5-10 measurement with different mic placement and average them but I only done it out of pure curiosity so bellow is just a snapshot of one.

One thing that is consistent is that BMW's system has a better <40Hz response.

BMW has a "Logic7" mode which is sort of a surround but it seems to me that it sounds better with that mode on (which is the default); typically I prefer the least processed sound but in this case it seems to be different.
s282z78fnv271.jpegineoc7nfnv271.jpeg

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fools and Damn Fools

X4vb1yS.jpg

Vapor9

Um, you do realize that many race cars that are driven on tracks around the world are actually based on street cars, right? Yes, they are usually modified with appropriate steel roll cages, maybe a safety fuel tank and a halon fire system, but often nothing more than that. Oh, and most are far underneath 'hundreds of thousands of dollars' as well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This is a real thread?
I've got a few cars.... Here is one, a current "daily" for us to drive across the state and back. 2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS Manual.
20220305_151120_HDR.jpg20220305_151054.jpg

Then here are some pics of my new garage with a couple more of my cars in there (2017 SS sedan, manual, procharger & 2011 QX56/Qx80)
20220318_231401_HDR.jpg20220318_233219.jpg

Then a couple other random SS pics;
20220318_221732.jpg20220307_091756.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Please do tell more...lol. That appears to be a stock hot-rodded Chevy SS? What's with the lion on the hood badge?
It's a Chevy SS sedan. This is a Holden Commodore VF SSV red line from australia. In the USA it is just sold as Chevy SS. It has an LS3 6.2L V8 with a Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission. I added a P-1X procharger and some SOLO high flow catalytic converters as well as a few resonators and an x-pipe. I also built a custom intake for it and added a CryO2 intercooler sprayer for the track.

The badge on the front is a Holden badge the original company that built it in AUS. That is the AUDM stock grill. Wheels are 2014 Cadillac CTS-V optional wheels sprayed in an Enkei "Hyper Dark Silver" color matched from my G35 (which has the real Enkei wheels in that color we matched the color from).
Car put down 592WHP & 563TQ @ 8.5Psi in 90F ambient on a Dynojet.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a Chevy SS sedan. This is a Holden Commodore VF SSV red line from australia. In the USA it is just sold as Chevy SS. It has an LS3 6.2L V8 with a Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission. I added a P-1X procharger and some SOLO high flow catalytic converters as well as a few resonators and an x-pipe. I also built a custom intake for it and added a CryO2 intercooler sprayer for the track.

The badge on the front is a Holden badge the original company that built it in AUS. That is the AUDM stock grill. Wheels are 2014 Cadillac CTS-V optional wheels sprayed in an Enkei "Hyper Dark Silver" color matched from my G35 (which has the real Enkei wheels in that color we matched the color from).
Car put down 592WHP & 563TQ @ 8.5Psi in 90F ambient on a Dynojet.
Nice! Does it go @ 180mph? That's fast, fast, fast at ground level.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Nice! Does it go @ 180mph? That's fast, fast, fast at ground level.
It shouldn't have a problem hitting 180. But I have never driven it that fast. Higher top speeds is more about gearing and my car is basically geared for about $140 mph. After that I shift into Fifth and both 5th and 6th are basically like cruising gears. They have unfavorable torque ratios so acceleration is much lower.
I think I did like 160 one time just to see and wasn't too happy with flooring it for so long.

When it comes to things like drag racing it is not about top speed.
I have done 40 to 140 mph pulls and 20 to 120 Street hits and 20 to 80 Street hits and a bunch of quarter mile and 1/8th mile passes.

I've also taken it on some winding roads a few times and did some chasing or being chased.

Top Bottom