Recent content by Thomas_A

1. Thomas_A

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

The cross-talk error in stereo reproduction is another "problem" which just means taking care of the 1-5 kHz region on and off-axis. The dip around 1.8 kHz is easily heard and can only be fixed with a adjusting balance between direct and reflected sound. A "BBC" dip as I've sen can occur...
  2. Thomas_A

The word has spread, the history written, and the Tekton guy will be remembered.
  3. Thomas_A

Fun with vinyl measurements

The SME is certainly a good arm. On the other side of the spectrum I have the delicate 4g Moerch UP-4 arm and a Shure V15Vx body, which is fitted with an extra shim of plastic (because the cartridge body and head shell is not really made for each other). None of the arms show any visible sign of...
  4. Thomas_A

Fun with vinyl measurements

Most adjustments of cartridge engine vs groove walls are within a few degrees. Cartridges are individuals. Crosstalk is a form of distortion/noise-problem depending if signals are correlated or uncorrelated. Therefore, low and even crosstalk is a good thing even if it means tilting the cartridge...
  5. Thomas_A

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Have not done it systematically but checking the level at 5 kHz, low distortion (< -30 dB) seems to correlate to: - fine-line or micro-ridge stylii - new stylii
  6. Thomas_A

There is something fishy going on. Evidently some of his more expensive speakers show at least good on-axis response, so they must have some capabilities to measure their speakers. Yet Eric choose to show the raw woofer response of the Mini Lore rather than the whole speaker response. He is...
  7. Thomas_A

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Try reduce the 47l to 35-40k if you have the possibility.
  8. Thomas_A

The dip off-axis may exaggerate the stereo crosstalk dip at 1.8 kHz. The way to fill this dip in is through reflections - and this speaker seems to do the opposite.
  9. Thomas_A

BACCH4Mac "Absolute Sounds Product of the Year 2024"

Mine are 7.8 feet apart. How wide the hall is does not matter. It is the angles that is covered depending where you sit. The orchestra is not sitting "at my speakers" but much farther away. Creating such an illusion related to what is on the record, speaker construction, speaker setup, and room...
  10. Thomas_A

Your criticism needs back-up with facts, and yet you have done nothing. That is the only fact so far.
  11. Thomas_A

So sitting somewhere in the middle will fit the angles of the stereo triangle, no?
  12. Thomas_A

A lounge can be your room , same space as the concert hall lounge. What are the angles you have measured in a middle seating of a concert hall, that includes the orchestra? Or a perfomance of a group of 5-6 musicians?
  13. Thomas_A

You know what a lounge in a concert hall is? What I am saying is that you can record the concert at one position binaurally. What does it sound like at chair 344? 566? A live concert is far from the ’pinpoint imaging of instruments’ that a stereo recording usually contains replayed in a home...
  14. Thomas_A

So what happens to those sitting at the back or in a lounge in a concert?
Top Bottom